Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine, live, attenuated; minimum of 19,400 PFU/0.65mL dose; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains porcine gelatin, neomycin and bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOSTAVAX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50 years of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating zoster or postherpetic neuralgia. Not for preventing primary varicella infection.
<50yrs: not recommended. ≥50yrs: one 0.65mL dose by SC inj once in upper arm. Administer immediately upon reconstitution.
Immunodeficiency (eg, HIV, leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow or lymphatic cancer, immunosuppressive therapy). Pregnancy (during and 3 months after vaccination).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Consider deferral in acute illness or acute untreated tuberculosis. May not protect 100% of recipients. Virus transmission may occur between recipients and susceptible contacts. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Immunosuppressants may cause disseminated disease. Consider administration of Zostavax and Pneumovax 23 vaccines separated by ≥4 weeks. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, swelling, pruritus), headache; cardiovascular events.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Real World Results May Not Mirror Clinical Study Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma
- Is Radioimmunotherapy a Path Forward for Melanoma?
- Handling Chemotherapy Premedications
- FDA Approves Mogamulizumab-kpkc for Rare Subtypes of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- New PDL1 Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Focus on Pembrolizumab
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Disparities Remain in Prevalence of Cancer Screening Tests
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- 8 Hours of Bedrest May Be Ideal After Intrathecal Chemotherapy in Hematologic Cancers
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|