Generic Name and Formulations:
Varicella zoster vaccine, live, attenuated; minimum of 19,400 PFU/0.65mL dose; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains porcine gelatin, neomycin and bovine serum (trace); preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for ZOSTAVAX:
Prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) in adults ≥50 years of age.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating zoster or postherpetic neuralgia. Not for preventing primary varicella infection.
<50yrs: not recommended. ≥50yrs: one 0.65mL dose by SC inj once in upper arm. Administer immediately upon reconstitution.
Immunodeficiency (eg, HIV, leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow or lymphatic cancer, immunosuppressive therapy). Pregnancy (during and 3 months after vaccination).
Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Consider deferral in acute illness or acute untreated tuberculosis. May not protect 100% of recipients. Virus transmission may occur between recipients and susceptible contacts. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Immunosuppressants may cause disseminated disease. Consider administration of Zostavax and Pneumovax 23 vaccines separated by ≥4 weeks. Concomitant inactivated influenza vaccines: see full labeling.
Inj site reactions (eg, erythema, pain, swelling, pruritus), headache; cardiovascular events.
To report adverse events, contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967.
Single-dose vials—1, 10 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|