Generic Name and Formulations:
Azithromycin (as dihydrate) 2g; for ext-rel oral susp after reconstitution; cherry-banana flavor; contains 148mg Na+/bottle.
Indications for ZMAX:
Mild-to-moderate susceptible acute bacterial sinusitis in adults. Community-acquired pneumonia in adults and children ≥6mos old.
Adults and Children:
Take on an empty stomach. Sinusitis: 2g once. CAP: <6mos: not established. ≥6mos: <34kg: 60mg/kg (27mg/lb) once; ≥34kg: 2g once. If vomiting occurs within 1 hour post-dose or delayed gastric emptying, consider alternative therapy.
Macrolide or ketolide related allergy. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction with prior use.
Renal impairment (esp. GFR <10mL/min). Discontinue if signs/symptoms of hepatitis occur. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation or proarrhythmic conditions. Allergic symptoms may recur after initial successful symptomatic treatment. Neonates: possible infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Possible QT prolongation with concomitant Class 1A (quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (dofetilide, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics, or others known to prolong the QT interval; avoid. Potentiated by nelfinavir. Monitor digoxin, cyclosporine, ergots, hexobarbital, phenytoin, warfarin.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, headache; rare: allergy (eg, angioedema, AGEP, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, DRESS), lab abnormalities; hepatotoxicity, torsades de pointes (esp. elderly), C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Real World Results May Not Mirror Clinical Study Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma
- Is Radioimmunotherapy a Path Forward for Melanoma?
- Handling Chemotherapy Premedications
- FDA Approves Mogamulizumab-kpkc for Rare Subtypes of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- New PDL1 Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Focus on Pembrolizumab
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Disparities Remain in Prevalence of Cancer Screening Tests
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- 8 Hours of Bedrest May Be Ideal After Intrathecal Chemotherapy in Hematologic Cancers
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|