Proton therapy effective against prostate cancer

Share this content:

Two studies published in International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics indicate that proton therapy is a useful treatment for prostate cancer. This specialized form of external-beam radiation therapy (EBRT) employs protons rather than x-rays.

One set of researchers followed 211 men with low-, intermediate-, or high-risk prostate cancer who were participating in three prospective trials of image-guided proton therapy. The patients were followed for a minimum of 2 years.

Disease progression occurred in one intermediate-risk and two high-risk patients. In the pretreatment period, 38% of patients required genitourinary (GU) symptom management compared with 42% posttreatment. A total of four transient Grade 3 GU toxicities occurred, all among the men requiring pretreatment GU symptom management. The researchers found a correlation between posttreatment GU 2+ symptoms and pretreatment GU symptom management.

Only one Grade 3+ gastrointestinal (GI) symptom occurred. The prevalence of Grade 2+ GI symptoms was 0% at 6 months, 5% at 12 months, 6% at 18 months, and 4% at 24 months, with a cumulative incidence of 20 patients (10%) 2 years after proton therapy. Grade 2+ rectal bleeding and proctitis correlated significantly with the percentage of rectal wall receiving proton therapy doses ranging from 40 cobalt gray equivalent (CGE) to 80 CGE.

“Early outcomes with image-guided proton therapy suggest high efficacy and minimal toxicity with only 1.9% Grade 3 GU symptoms and [less than] 0.5% Grade 3 GI toxicities,” concluded the investigators (Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012;82[1]:213-221;

In the same journal issue, a team led by radiation oncologist John J. Coen, MD, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, described the results of high-dose EBRT using a combination of photons (x-rays) and protons for localized prostate cancer in 196 men, compared with permanent prostate brachytherapy in 203 case-matched patients (pp. e25-e31;

Although the 8-year biochemical failure (BF) rates were 7.7% in the EBRT group and 16.1% in the brachytherapy group, BF rates were similar by either technique when stratified by patient-risk group.

You must be a registered member of ONA to post a comment.

Sign Up for Free e-newsletters

Regimen and Drug Listings


Bone Cancer Regimens Drugs
Brain Cancer Regimens Drugs
Breast Cancer Regimens Drugs
Endocrine Cancer Regimens Drugs
Gastrointestinal Cancer Regimens Drugs
Genitourinary Cancer Regimens Drugs
Gynecologic Cancer Regimens Drugs
Head and Neck Cancer Regimens Drugs
Hematologic Cancer Regimens Drugs
Lung Cancer Regimens Drugs
Other Cancers Regimens
Rare Cancers Regimens
Skin Cancer Regimens Drugs