Generic Name and Formulations:
Histrelin acetate 50mg; SC implant.
Indications for VANTAS:
Palliative treatment of advanced prostate cancer.
Insert 1 implant SC in the inner aspect of the upper arm. Remove after 12 months; may replace.
Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers. Not for use in women or children.
Initial transient increase in serum testosterone may result in worsening signs/symptoms (eg, bone pain, neuropathy, hematuria). Metastatic vertebral lesions, urinary tract obstruction (monitor closely in 1st few weeks). Avoid wetting inserted arm for 24hrs and heavy lifting or strenuous exertion for 1st week. Increased risk of developing diabetes; monitor blood glucose and HbA1c periodically; treat if occurs. Increased risk of developing MI, sudden cardiac death, stroke; monitor for signs/symptoms of cardiovascular disease. May prolong QT/QTc interval in patients with congenital long QT syndrome, CHF, electrolyte abnormalities; monitor ECGs. If electrolyte abnormalities occur, correct and monitor. Measure serum testosterone, PSA levels periodically. Implant not visible on X-ray.
May interfere with pituitary gonadotropic and gonadal function tests. Caution with concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval.
Hot flashes, fatigue, implant site reactions, testicular atrophy, renal impairment; hyperglycemia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease.
Kit—1 (w. implant and supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|