Generic Name and Formulations:
Ursodiol 250mg; tabs.
Indications for URSO:
Primary biliary cirrhosis.
Take with food. 13–15mg/kg per day in 2–4 divided doses.
Complete biliary obstruction.
Variceal bleeding, hepatic encephalopathy, ascites, and/or need for an urgent liver transplant: give appropriate specific treatment. Monitor liver function and bilirubin monthly for 3 months after starting therapy, then every 6 months thereafter; consider discontinuing if levels increase significantly with history of stable liver function. Monitor and maintain bile flow. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Reduced absorption with bile acid sequestrants (eg, cholestyramine, colestipol), and aluminum-containing antacids. Estrogens, oral contraceptives, clofibrate, other lipid-lowering drugs may reduce effectiveness of ursodiol by increasing hepatic cholesterol secretion.
Abdominal discomfort or pain, alopecia, diarrhea, nausea, pruritus, rash, leukopenia, elevated creatinine or blood glucose, thrombocytopenia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|