Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevoflurane; volatile liq for inhalation.
Indications for ULTANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia for surgery.
Adults and Children:
Use sevoflurane calibrated vaporizer. Individualize. Surgical maintenance: usually 0.5–3% sevoflurane with or without nitrous oxide. May be administered with any type of anesthesia circuit. See full labeling for minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) values based on age.
Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia. Sensitivity to halogenated agents.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Sevoflurane exposure >2 MAC hours at flow rates 1 to <2L/min and fresh gas flow rates <1L/min: not recommended. Renal insufficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, hepatic and renal function, urine flow during treatment. Neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy). Susceptible to congenital long QT syndrome. Dessicated CO2 absorbents. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Elderly. Premature infants. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Concomitant KOH containing CO2 absorbents: not recommended. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiated by benzodiazepines, opioids, nitrous oxide. Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, pancuronium, vecuronium, atracurium). Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, agitation, somnolence, dizziness, increased salivation, tachycardia, bradycardia, hypotension, cough increased, laryngospasm, airway obstruction, breath holding, shivering, apnea, hypertension; malignant hyperthermia, perioperative hyperkalemia, renal injury (eg, glycosuria and proteinuria); rare: seizures (esp. children), post-op hepatic dysfunction, torsades de pointes, transient elevations in glucose, LFTs, WBC count.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|