Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethionamide 250mg; tabs.
Indications for TRECATOR:
Adjunct in tuberculosis, when INH and rifampin are not appropriate.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. Initially 250mg/day in 1–4 divided doses; titrate to highest tolerated dose (see full labeling). Usual range: 15–20mg/kg daily; max 1g/day.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. 10–20mg/kg in 2–3 divided doses, or 15mg/kg once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment.
Confirm presence of susceptible bacterial infection before initiating therapy. Re-titrate when switching from Trecator SC sugar-coated tabs. Give with pyridoxine. Diabetes. Do baseline and periodic blood glucose levels, eye exams (including ophthalmoscopy). Monitor thyroid function. Obtain SGOT and SGPT before and monthly; suspend if levels increase. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Potentiates other antituberculars. Convulsions with cycloserine.
GI upset, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, metallic taste, stomatitis, anorexia, liver dysfunction, psychosis, drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, headache, postural hypotension, hypoglycemia, gynecomastia, impotence, acne; rarely; peripheral/optic neuritis, visual disturbances, pellagra, thrombocytopenia.
Trecator tablets have been reformulated from a sugar-coated tablet to a film-coated tablet which may result in higher peak levels.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|