Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethionamide 250mg; tabs.
Indications for TRECATOR:
Adjunct in tuberculosis, when INH and rifampin are not appropriate.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. Initially 250mg/day in 1–4 divided doses; titrate to highest tolerated dose (see full labeling). Usual range: 15–20mg/kg daily; max 1g/day.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. 10–20mg/kg in 2–3 divided doses, or 15mg/kg once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment.
Confirm presence of susceptible bacterial infection before initiating therapy. Re-titrate when switching from Trecator SC sugar-coated tabs. Give with pyridoxine. Diabetes. Do baseline and periodic blood glucose levels, eye exams (including ophthalmoscopy). Monitor thyroid function. Obtain SGOT and SGPT before and monthly; suspend if levels increase. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Potentiates other antituberculars. Convulsions with cycloserine.
GI upset, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, metallic taste, stomatitis, anorexia, liver dysfunction, psychosis, drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, headache, postural hypotension, hypoglycemia, gynecomastia, impotence, acne; rarely; peripheral/optic neuritis, visual disturbances, pellagra, thrombocytopenia.
Trecator tablets have been reformulated from a sugar-coated tablet to a film-coated tablet which may result in higher peak levels.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|