TICE BCG Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacillus of Calmette and Guerin (BCG) strain of Mycobacterium bovis live, attenuated culture preparation; 50mg per vial; pwd for intravesical administration after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TICE BCG:
Treatment and prophylaxis of carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder. Prophylaxis of stage Ta and/or T1 papillary tumor of the urinary bladder.
1 vial in 50mL preservative-free saline intravesically once per week for 6 weeks (may repeat this regimen once if remission not achieved); then monthly for 6–12 months if needed. Avoid fluid at least 4 hrs before treatment and void immediately before administration. Retain in bladder for 2 hours.
Immunosuppressed. Active TB. Febrile illness. UTI. Gross hematuria. Do not give within 7 days after bladder biopsy, transurethral resection (TUR), or traumatic catheterization.
Not a vaccine for prevention of cancer or TB. Not for IV or SC use. Determine PPD status prior to therapy; rule out active TB if (+). Monitor for signs of systemic BCG infection: flu-like symptoms >72 hrs, fever ≥103°F, persistent LFT abnormalities; prostatitis, epididymitis, orchitis >2 days; treat with at least 2 antimycobacterial drugs (except pyrazinamide). Local irritative toxicities: do not treat with antimycobacterials. Bleeding bladder mucosa, small bladder. Disinfect fluid voided after therapy with bleach. PPD seroconversion may occur with treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants, myelosuppressants, radiation, antimicrobial therapy may reduce efficacy.
Urine discoloration, bladder irritation, inflammation (begins after 4 hrs and last up to 72 hrs), malaise, fever, chills, flu-like syndrome, systemic BCG infection, dysuria, urinary frequency, hematuria, cystitis, urgency, nocturia, cramps, pain, incontinence, rigors, arthralgia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|