Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticarcillin disodium 3g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 5.2–6.5mEq/g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ticarcillin:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, respiratory or urinary tract, skin and soft tissue, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections.
UTI: 1g IM or IV every 6 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. Max IM 2g per inj. In more severe infections use higher doses by IV route.
Neonates <2kg: 75mg/kg every 12 hours until 7 days old, then 75mg/kg every 8 hours. >2kg: 75mg/kg every 8 hours until 7 days old, then 100mg/kg every 8 hours. Others <40kg: UTI: 50–100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6–8 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. >40kg: as adult.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Renal impairment, reduce dose (see literature) and monitor for bleeding disorders. Heart disease. Sodium restricted diets. Monitor serum electrolytes (esp. potassium) and renal, hepatic, hematopoietic function during prolonged therapy. Pregnancy.
Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hemorrhage, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, CNS stimulation, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand name Ticar.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|