Generic Name and Formulations:
Theophylline 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, 400mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for THEO-24:
Asthma. Chronic bronchitis. Emphysema.
See literature. Swallow whole. Stabilized patients may be switched from immediate-release or controlled-release product to once- or twice-daily dosing with Theo-24 on a mg/mg basis. Do not take within 1 hour of fatty food if on high dose. Max without serum level monitoring: 12–15years: 16mg/kg (max 400mg) per day; ≥16years: 400mg/day.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Active peptic ulcer. Arrhythmias. Seizure disorders. Hepatic dysfunction. CHF. Acute pulmonary edema. Cor pulmonale. Hypothyroidism. Fever. Sepsis. Shock. Monitor serum levels; do not try to maintain non-tolerated doses. Rapid metabolizers. Infants (<3 months of age) with reduced renal function. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See literature. Smokers have increased metabolism. Potentiated by quinolones, macrolides, enoxacin, cimetidine, alcohol, allopurinol, estrogen oral contraceptives, tacrine, interferon alpha, disulfiram, fluvoxamine, verapamil, mexiletine, methotrexate, pentoxifylline, propafenone, ticlopidine, thiabenazole. Antagonized by phenytoin, rifampin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, aminogluthethimide, moricizine, St. John's wort, isoproterenol, sulfinpyrazone. Avoid β-blockers. Antagonizes lithium, benzodiazepines, pancuronium, adenosine. Toxicity with sympathomimetics. Seizures with ketamine. Arrhythmias with halothane.
GI upset, headache, CNS stimulation, diuresis, arrhythmias, seizures.
Caps 100mg, 400mg—100; 200mg, 300mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|