Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin (as HCl) 3mg, 6mg; tabs.
Indications for SILENOR:
Treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep maintenance.
Individualize. Take within 30mins of bedtime. Do not take within 3 hours of a meal. Initially 6mg once daily. Max: 6mg/day. Elderly, hepatic impairment, tendency to urinary retention: initially 3mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Untreated narrow angle glaucoma. Severe urinary retention.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Respiratory dysfunction. Severe sleep apnea: not recommended. Poor metabolizers (those with reduced CYP2D6/2C19 activity). Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
H1 receptor antagonist.
Additive effects with concomitant CNS depressants, antihistamines, or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by cimetidine. Possible hypoglycemia with tolazamide.
Somnolence, sedation, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, dizziness, photosensitivity, skin rash; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors, sleep-driving (discontinue if occurs), amnesia, anxiety, other neuro-psychiatric symptoms.
Tabs—30, 100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|