Protriptyline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protriptyline HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Protriptyline HCl:
15–40mg daily in 3–4 divided doses. Increase AM dose if needed; max 60mg daily. Elderly, adolescents: initially 5mg 3 times daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant cisapride. Acute post-MI.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. History of seizures. Urinary retention. Increased intraocular tension. Angle-closure glaucoma. Cardiovascular disorders. Bipolar disorder. Mania. Psychosis. ECT. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Liver disorders. Discontinue prior to surgery. Poor metabolizers (CYP2D6). Avoid abrupt cessation. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly (monitor cardiovascular effects over 20mg/day). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hyperpyretic crisis, convulsions, death with MAOIs. Avoid during or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Potentiates alcohol, CNS depressants. Blocks guanethidine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, neuroleptics. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, phenothiazines, SSRIs, propafenone, flecainide); monitor with cimetidine. Adjust sympathomimetic, anticholinergic doses. Increased seizure risk with tramadol.
CNS, anticholinergic, or cardiovascular effects (eg, drowsiness, confusion, anxiety, tachycardia, hypotension), extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, sexual dysfunction, gynecomastia, liver dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand name Vivactil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Bleeding Disorder Treatments: Hemophilia A
- Guideline Recommendations Offer No OS Benefit for Younger Patients With Rectal Cancer
- Bleeding Disorder Treatments: von Willebrand Disease
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|