At $225 million per system, the precision of proton beam radiotherapy is not necessarily overshadowing its high costs. Yet ongoing studies seek to determine how this technology fits into current treatment regimens for prostate, breast, and other cancers.
PSPT significantly reduced radiation exposure to the heart, but no differences were observed between PSPT and IMRT for the lung or esophagus.
Treating medulloblastoma with proton beam therapy results in survival rates in line with other proton therapies, according to recent study data.
Phase 2 trial data showed acceptable toxicity and similar survival as conventional radiotherapy for childhood medulloblastoma.
Accurate administration of proton radiotherapy in mobile organs, such as the lung, can be difficult, but researchers have developed a model that will allow for better beam targeting.
Evidence to support reimbursement for proton-beam therapy remains limited to several relatively uncommon cancers.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Leukemia Risk in Children, Maternal Use of Hormonal Contraception Linked in Population Study
- CheckMate 067 Gives Nivolumab Alone, With Ipilimumab the Nod in Advanced Melanoma
- New Method Estimates Risk for Breast Cancer Recurrence
- Molecular Features May Predict Response in Primary Pancreatic Cancer
- Medication, Vaccination Uptake Improved by Involving Pharmacists in Elder Cancer Care
- Navigating Prostate Cancer: A Patient's Experience From Diagnosis to Survivor
- Cell Phones and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- How Likely Are Oncologists to Refer for Palliative Care? Depends on Their Age
- Use of Corticosteroids With PD-1 or PD-L1 Inhibitors Associated With Poorer Outcomes in NSCLC
- Chemoimmunotherapy Increases Survival in Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Counseling Patients on Oral Chemotherapy
- Patients and Caregivers Worry About Cost of Cancer Care
- Stem Cell Transplantation Superior to Chemotherapy for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL, Follicular Lymphoma
- Head and Neck Cancer Survivors Have Increased Suicide Risk
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Survivorship Marked by Periods of Actionable Distress
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|