Generic Name and Formulations:
Propylthiouracil 50mg; scored tabs; contains docusate sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propylthiouracil:
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. Initially 300mg/day. Severe conditions: initially 400mg/day; max 900mg/day. Maintenance: 100–150mg/day.
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: initially 50mg/day; may upward titrate based on response, TSH, and free T4 levels.
Should be reserved for those intolerant to methimazole and in whom radioactive iodine therapy or surgery are not appropriate treatments. Risk of severe liver injury and acute liver failure. Monitor for signs of hepatic dysfunction esp. in the 1st 6 months of therapy; discontinue if occur and obtain LFTs and ALT/AST levels. Discontinue if agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, ANCA-positive vasculitis, hepatitis, interstitial pneumonitis, fever, or exfoliative dermatitis is suspected. Monitor thyroid function periodically, prothrombin time esp. before surgical procedures. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants. Caution with other drugs that may cause agranulocytosis. May need to reduce doses of beta-blockers, digitalis glycosides, theophylline at euthyroid state.
Rash, urticaria, GI upset, arthralgia, paresthesia, taste loss/perversion, hair loss, myalgia, headache, drowsiness, edema, vertigo, jaundice, blood dycrasias, lupus-like syndrome, drug fever, hepatitis, hypoprothrombinemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|