Promethazine DM Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 6.25mg, dextromethorphan HBr 15mg; per 5mL; liq; contains alcohol 7%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine DM:
Cough and upper respiratory symptoms associated with allergy and common cold.
5mL every 4–6hrs; max 30mL/24hrs.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 1.25–2.5mL every 4–6hrs; max 10mL/24hrs. 6–12yrs: 2.5–5mL every 4–6hrs; max 20mL/24hrs.
Concomitant MAOIs. Comatose states. Lower respiratory tract symptoms. Asthma.
Children <2yrs: potential for fatal respiratory depression. Atopic children. Compromised respiratory function (eg, COPD, apnea), signs/symptoms of Reye's syndrome or hepatic disease in children: avoid. Seizure disorder. Bone-marrow depression. Narrow-angle glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Peptic ulcer. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic impairment. Debilitated. Elderly. Sedated patients or those confined to supine position. Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antihistamine + antitussive.
See Contraindications. Increased extrapyramidal effects with MAOIs. Concomitant epinephrine: not recommended. Increased CNS depression with concomitant CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, sedatives/hypnotics, narcotics, general anesthesia, tricyclics); may need to reduce dose. Caution with other anticholinergics. May get false pregnancy test results.
Drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, sedation, insomnia, convulsive seizures, hallucinations, hyperexcitability, GI upset, respiratory depression, cardiovascular effects; possible neuroleptic malignant syndrome, cholestatic jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Is Radioimmunotherapy a Path Forward for Melanoma?
- FDA Approves Mogamulizumab-kpkc for Rare Subtypes of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- New PDL1 Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Focus on Pembrolizumab
- Intensive Chemotherapy May Not Be Effective in MDS or AML After MDS
- ASCO Endorses SIO Guideline for Integrative Therapies in Breast Cancer
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Disparities Remain in Prevalence of Cancer Screening Tests
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- 8 Hours of Bedrest May Be Ideal After Intrathecal Chemotherapy in Hematologic Cancers
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|