Prochlorperazine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prochlorperazine Suppositories:
Severe nausea and vomiting.
Oral: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily; usual max 40mg/day. Rectal: 25mg twice daily.
<2yrs or <20lbs: not recommended. Oral: 20–29lbs: 2½mg once or twice daily; max 7.5mg/day. 30–39lbs: 2½mg 2–3 times daily; max 10mg/day. 40–85lbs: 2½mg 3 times daily or 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Coma. CNS depression. Pediatric surgery. Children <2yrs or <20lbs.
Discontinue 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Cardiovascular disease. Epilepsy. Bone marrow depression. Reye's syndrome. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor blood, liver, and ocular function. Write ℞ using fractions rather than decimals. Children with acute illness or dehydration. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Potentiates α-blockers. Levels of both drugs increased with propranolol. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor for toxicity. Adjust anticonvulsant doses. May antagonize oral anticoagulants. Hypotension potentiated with thiazide diuretics. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreases guanethidine effects. Monitor for neurologic toxicity with lithium; discontinue if occurs. May cause false (+) PKU test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, amenorrhea, blurred vision, other anticholinergic effects, skin reactions, hypotension, cholestatic jaundice, photosensitivity, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, agitation, insomnia, dystonias, extrapyramidal reactions, pseudoparkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, may mask emetic signs of disease, lowered seizure threshold, EKG changes, aspiration, deep sleep, hyperprolactinemia, paradoxical excitement in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Compazine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|