Probenecid + Colchicine Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg, colchicine 0.5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid + Colchicine:
Chronic gouty arthritis.
1 tab daily for 1 week, then 1 tab twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Pregnancy. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Spastic colon. GI, renal, hepatic, or hematological disorders. G6PD deficiency. Monitor blood counts in long-term therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Debilitated. Elderly. Nursing mothers.
Uricosuric + antiinflammatory.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels, or false (+) RBC or hemoglobin in urine.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, diarrhea, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, hematuria, renal colic, fever, peripheral neuritis, myopathy, anemia, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia, purpura, bone marrow depression; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Colbenemid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|