PRIMAXIN IM 500 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Imipenem 500mg, cilastatin sodium 500mg; IM inj; sodium content 2.8mEq/g imipenem.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PRIMAXIN IM 500:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, skin and skin structure, gynecologic. IM form not for severe or life-threatening infections.
Base dose on imipenem component. Lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic: mild to moderate: 500–750mg every 12 hours. Intraabdominal: 750mg every 12 hours. CrCl <20mL/min: not recommended.
IM: Allergy to amide-type local anesthetics. Heart block. Severe shock.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other allergy. CNS disorders (esp. brain lesions or seizures). Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hemodialysis: see literature. GI disease (esp. colitis). IM: prepare with lidocaine (see literature). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ganciclovir (increased seizure risk), probenecid: not recommended. May antagonize valproic acid; monitor (consider alternative therapy).
Carbapenem (thienamycin) + dehydropeptidase I inhibitor.
Local reactions, GI upset, confusion, myoclonia, seizures, changes in serum electrolytes, dizziness, somnolence, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes, fever, rash, hypotension.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|