Polymyxin B Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 500,000units/vial; pwd for IM, intrathecal inj, IV drip or ophthalmic use after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B Inj:
Susceptible infections due to P. aeruginosa including UTIs, meninges, bloodstream, and eye infections. Other serious susceptible infections including H. influenza meningeal, E. coli UTIs, and bacteremia due to A. aerogenes and K. pneumoniae.
Adults and Children:
Infants: up to 40,000units/kg per day IV or IM inj. Adults and children: IV: 15,000–25,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 12 hours; max 25,000units/kg per day. IM: 25,000–30,000units/kg per day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. P. aeruginosa meningitis: Give by intrathecal inj only. <2yrs: 20,000units once daily for 3–4 days or 25,000units once every other day, continue with 25,000units once every other day; >2yrs: 50,000units once daily for 3–4 days, then 50,000units once every other day; both: treat for at least 2 weeks after negative CSF cultures and sugar content normalized. Ophthalmic: see literature. Renal impairment: adjust or reduce dose.
Renal impairment. Monitor renal function before and during therapy; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Pregnancy: not recommended.
Avoid other neurotoxic and/or nephrotoxic drugs (eg, bacitracin, aminoglycosides, colistin). May potentiate neuromuscular blockade with anesthetics and/or muscle relaxants.
Nephrotoxicity (eg, albuminuria, azotemia, cylindruria), neurotoxicity (eg, flushing, dizziness, paresthesias), meningeal irritation (intrathecal), drug fever, rash, inj site pain, thrombophlebitis; respiratory paralysis (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Aerosporin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|