Generic Name and Formulations:
Phenytoin sodium, ext-rel 200mg, 300mg; caps.
Indications for PHENYTEK:
Tonic-clonic, psychomotor and neurosurgically induced seizures.
Initially: 100mg 3 times daily. Increase weekly if needed; max 200mg 3 times daily. Once-a-day dosing only with 300mg caps for patients controlled on 300mg daily.
Initially 5mg/kg per day in 2–3 equally divided doses. Increase weekly if needed. Usual maintenance: 4–8mg/kg per day; max 300mg daily.
Diabetes. Impaired liver function. Change dose gradually. Discontinue if rash develops. Monitor serum levels. Use proper dental hygiene. Hormonal contraception. Porphyria. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiated by acute alcohol ingestion, amiodarone, benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), chloramphenicol, dicumarol, disulfiram, estrogens, halothane, H2 blockers, isoniazid, methylphenidate, phenothiazines, phenylbutazone, salicylates, succinamides (eg, ethosuximide), sulfonamides, tolbutamide, trazodone, others. Antagonized by chronic alcohol ingestion, carbamazepine, reserpine, others. Antagonizes tricyclic antidepressants, oral anticoagulants, oral contraceptives, estrogens, corticosteroids, doxycycline, digitoxin, furosemide, theophylline, rifampin, quinidine, vitamins D and K, others. Variable effects with phenobarbital, valproic acid, divalproex, others. Absorption decreased by calcium, antacids.
Nystagmus, ataxia, slurred speech, decreased coordination, dizziness, GI disturbances, gingival hyperplasia, osteomalacia, blood dyscrasias, lymphadenopathy, hepatic disease, rash, hyperglycemia, SLE, hypertrichosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- Two Programs, One Goal: Meeting the Challenges of Oncology Navigation
- Navigating Patients with Hematologic Malignancies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|