Generic Name and Formulations:
Phentermine HCl 15mg (equivalent to 12mg phentermine), 30mg (equivalent to 24mg phentermine); powder-filled or pellet-filled caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Phentermine:
A short-term (a few weeks) adjunct in a regimen of weight reduction based on exercise, behavioral modification and caloric restriction in the management of exogenous obesity for patients with an initial body mass index ≥30kg/m2, or ≥27kg/m2 in the presence of other risk factors (eg, hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia).
>16yrs: Individualize. Usual dose: 15–30mg at approx. 2hrs after breakfast.
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Advanced arteriosclerosis. Cardiovascular disease. Moderate to severe hypertension. Hyperthyroidism. Glaucoma. Agitated states. History of drug abuse. During or within 14 days of MAOIs.
Increased risk of primary pulmonary hypertension, valvular heart disease. Discontinue if unexplained dyspnea, angina, syncope, or lower extremity edema develops. Mild hypertension. Diabetes. Prescribe minimal supply to avoid overdose. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Hypertensive crisis possible with MAOIs. Concomitant weight loss drugs, including SSRIs (fluoxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, paroxetine): not recommended. Caution with alcohol. Insulin requirements may be altered. May decrease hypotensive effect of guanethidine.
Primary pulmonary hypertension, regurgitant cardiac valvular disease, palpitation, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dysphoria, tremor, headache, dry mouth, unpleasant taste, GI upset, constipation, urticaria, impotence, changes in libido, tolerance (discontinue when occurs); rare: psychotic episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Fastin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|