Generic Name and Formulations:
Hemin 350mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion (7mg of hematin/mL after reconstitution); contains sodium carbonate 240mg, sorbitol 335mg; preservative-free.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for PANHEMATIN:
Amelioration of recurrent attacks of acute intermittent porphyria temporally related to the menstrual cycle in susceptible women, after initial carbohydrate therapy is known or suspected to be inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Intended to prevent an attack from reaching the critical stage of neuronal degeneration. Not effective in repairing neuronal damage.
Consider carbohydrate loading (eg, 400g glucose/day for 1–2 days) before initiation. If improvement unsatisfactory, give 1–4mg/kg/day of hematin via IV infusion over at least 30mins for 3–14 days. In more severe cases, this dose may be repeated no earlier than every 12hrs. Max 6mg/kg of hematin per 24hrs.
<16yrs: not established.
Administer into large arm vein or a central venous catheter to avoid phlebitis. Contains human plasma; monitor for possible infection transmission (eg, viruses, Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease agent). Monitor iron and serum ferritin in multiple administrations. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (avoid in severe pre-eclampsia). Nursing mothers.
Delta-aminolevulinic acid synthetase inhibitor.
Avoid CYP-inducing drugs that increase the activity of δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase (eg, estrogens, barbituric acid derivatives, steroid metabolites). Avoid concomitant anticoagulants.
Headache, pyrexia, infusion site reactions, phlebitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|