Oxacillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxacillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for IM or IV inj after reconstitution, or IV drip after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 2.5mEq/g oxacillin sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Oxacillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Mild-to-moderate infections: 250–500mg IM or IV every 4–6 hours. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by IM gluteal inj, or slow IV inj over 10 mins, or IV drip. Premature and neonates: 25mg/kg/day IM or IV. Infants and children <40kg: Mild-to-moderate infections: 50mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6 hours; severe infections: 100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48 hours after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see literature. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Cephalosporin or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Renal impairment: consider dose reduction. Do CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine levels prior to and weekly during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Elderly (esp. IV route). Newborns (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, anaphylaxis, neuropathy, nephropathy, blood dyscrasias, hepatotoxicity.
Formerly known under the brand name Bactocill.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|