ORTHO-CYCLEN 28 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norgestimate 0.25mg, ethinyl estradiol 35micrograms (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ORTHO-CYCLEN 28:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Premenarchal: not recommended.
High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or thromboembolism, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, stroke, MI) esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Gallbladder disease. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. History of depression; monitor and discontinue if serious depression recurs. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Do regular complete physical exams. Monitor BP; discontinue if significant rise occurs. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Postmenopausal women or nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Ortho-Cyclen prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. May be antagonized by phenytoin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, bosentan, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, rifampicin, topiramate, rifabutin, rufinamide, aprepitant, St. John’s wort; use backup contraception. May be potentiated by atorvastatin, rosuvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, or CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole, grapefruit juice). May be affected by HIV protease inhibitors. Concomitant colesevelam; give 4hrs apart. May antagonize acetaminophen, temazepam, salicylic acid, morphine, clofibric acid, lamotrigine. May potentiate cyclosporine, prednisolone, theophylline, tizanidine, voriconazole. May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones. May affect lab tests (eg, coagulation factors, triglycerides, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins, hormone binding globulins, serum folate).
Progestin + estrogen.
Headache/migraine, abdominal/GI pain, vaginal infection, genital discharge, breast pain/discharge/enlargement, mood disorders, flatulence, nervousness, rash; hypertension, chloasma, serious thromboembolic events, liver disease.
Packs—6 (blister cards)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|