ORTHO-CYCLEN 28 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norgestimate 0.25mg, ethinyl estradiol 35micrograms (21 tabs); inert (7 tabs).
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ORTHO-CYCLEN 28:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat.
Premenarchal: not recommended.
High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or thromboembolism, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events (eg, stroke, MI) esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Gallbladder disease. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. History of depression; monitor and discontinue if serious depression recurs. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Do regular complete physical exams. Monitor BP; discontinue if significant rise occurs. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). Postmenopausal women or nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Ortho-Cyclen prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. May be antagonized by phenytoin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, bosentan, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, rifampicin, topiramate, rifabutin, rufinamide, aprepitant, St. John’s wort; use backup contraception. May be potentiated by atorvastatin, rosuvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, or CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole, fluconazole, grapefruit juice). May be affected by HIV protease inhibitors. Concomitant colesevelam; give 4hrs apart. May antagonize acetaminophen, temazepam, salicylic acid, morphine, clofibric acid, lamotrigine. May potentiate cyclosporine, prednisolone, theophylline, tizanidine, voriconazole. May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones. May affect lab tests (eg, coagulation factors, triglycerides, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins, hormone binding globulins, serum folate).
Headache/migraine, abdominal/GI pain, vaginal infection, genital discharge, breast pain/discharge/enlargement, mood disorders, flatulence, nervousness, rash; hypertension, chloasma, serious thromboembolic events, liver disease.
Packs—6 (blister cards)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Adhering to Cytoreductive Therapy Use May Improve Outcomes in Polycythemia Vera
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- Alternate Dosing of Ruxolitinib May Alleviate Anemia in Myelofibrosis
- Hope, Gratitude, and Spirituality: What They Mean to Cancer Patients
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Oral Hydration Effectively Reduced Risk of Nephrotoxity After Cisplatin
- Young Survivors of Breast Cancer Report Sexual Quality of Life Declines After Treatment
- The Efficacy and Tolerance of High Pressure Oxygen Combined With Chemotherapy in Postoperative Patients With Advanced Gastric Cancer
- Hepatocellular Cancer Pain: Impact and Management Challenges
- Serum Albumin May Indicate Prognosis for Survival in Acute Myeloblastic Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|