Generic Name and Formulations:
Oritavancin 400mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ORBACTIV:
Acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI) caused by the following susceptible Gram (+) microorganisms: Staphylococcus aureus (including MRSA and MSSA), Streptococcus pyogenes, Streptococcus agalactiae, Streptococcus dysgalactiae, Streptococcus anginosus Group (including Streptococcus anginosus, Streptococcus intermedius, Streptococcus constellatus) and Enterococcus faecalis (vancomycin-susceptible isolates only).
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs: 1200mg as a single dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Use of IV unfractionated heparin sodium for 120hrs (5 days) after oritavancin administration.
History of glycopeptide allergy. Discontinue immediately if acute hypersensitivity reaction occurs. Consider slowing or interrupting infusion if infusion-related reactions occur. Risk of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea; evaluate and may need to discontinue if occurs. Monitor for signs/symptoms of osteomyelitis; use alternative therapy if suspected or diagnosed. Severe hepatic or renal impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of bleeding with concomitant warfarin; may prolong aPTT for up to 120hrs, PT/INR for up to 12hrs, and ACT for up to 24hrs; monitor for bleeding. Avoid concomitant drugs with a narrow therapeutic window that are metabolized by the affected CYP450 enzymes. May increase concentrations of CYP2C9/CYP2C19 substrates. May decrease concentrations of CYP3A4/CYP2D6 substrates. May interfere with coagulation tests; consider non-phospholipid dependent test (eg, Factor Xa assay) or alternative anticoagulant not requiring aPTT monitoring.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, limb and subcutaneous abscesses, diarrhea.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|