Generic Name and Formulations:
Somatropin (rDNA origin) 5mg+, 10mg; per 1.5mL cartridge; 5.8mg/vial+; soln for SC inj; +contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for OMNITROPE:
Growth failure in children due to inadequate endogenous GH secretion. Children with growth failure due to Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). Children with growth failure associated with Turner syndrome (TS). Children with growth failure born small for gestational age (SGA) with no catch-up growth by age 2yrs. Children with idiopathic short stature (ISS) whose epiphyses are not closed. Adults with childhood-onset or adult-onset GH deficiency.
Rotate inj sites. Weight-based: Initially up to max 0.04mg/kg/week given as a daily SC inj; may increase at 4–8 week intervals to max 0.08mg/kg/week. Non-weight based: approx. 0.2mg/day (range: 0.15–0.3mg/day), may increase gradually every 1–2 months by increments of approx. 0.1–0.2mg/day.
Rotate inj sites. Weekly dose should be divided over 6 or 7 days of SC injections. GH deficient: 0.16–0.24mg/kg/week. PWS: 0.24mg/kg/week. SGA: up to 0.48mg/kg/week. TS: 0.33mg/kg/week. ISS: up to 0.47mg/kg/week.
Acute critical illness due to surgical complications or multiple accidental trauma or those with acute respiratory failure. Closed epiphyses. Active malignancy or growing intracranial tumors. Diabetic retinopathy. History of upper airway obstruction or sleep apnea, severe obesity, or severe respiratory impairment in PWS patients.
Increased mortality in those with acute critical illness (see Contraindications); weigh potential treatment benefit against the potential risk. PWS: evaluate baseline respiratory function; monitor weight and for respiratory infection; interrupt if signs of upper airway obstruction or sleep apnea occurs. History of GHD secondary to intracranial neoplasm: monitor routinely for tumor progression or recurrence. Increased risk of developing malignancies. Monitor for increased growth or malignant changes of preexisting nevi. Diabetes. Hypopituitarism. Hypothyroidism. Scoliosis. TS patients: evaluate for ear disorders (eg, otitis media); monitor for cardiovascular disorders (eg, stroke, aortic aneurysm/dissection, hypertension). Monitor thyroid function, glucose tolerance, and for intracranial hypertension (do baseline and periodic funduscopic exams). Hypoadrenalism: monitor for reduced serum cortisol levels. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May require increase in maintenance or stress doses of glucocorticoids in hypoadrenalism. Antagonized by glucocorticoids. Concomitant drugs metabolized by CYP450 enzymes (eg, steroids, anticonvulsants, cyclosporine); monitor. Antidiabetic medications may need to be adjusted. Women on oral estrogen: may need higher somatropin dose.
Growth hormone (GH).
Inj site reactions/rashes, lipoatrophy, headache, hyperglycemia, pancreatitis, fluid retention (esp. in adults), edema, arthralgia, myalgia, hypothyroidism, antibody formation, serious hypersensitivity reactions, elevated serum phosphorous, alkaline phosphatase, and IGF-1; also children: slipped capital femoral epiphysis (monitor). Long-term overdose may cause gigantism and/or acromegaly.
Cartridges 5mg—1, 5 (use w. Omnitrope Pen 5), 10mg—1, 5 (use w. Omnitrope Pen 10); Vial—1 (w. diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|