Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Osimertinib improves progression-free survival in EGFR-mutated non-small-cell lung cancer: The FLAURA trialJanuary 11, 2018
1. Osimertinib demonstrated a significantly longer duration of progression-free survival compared to standard of care epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)-tyrosine kinase inhibitors (TKI) in patients with untreated EGFR-mutated locally-advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). 2. Osimertinib treated patients had fewer grade 3 or higher adverse events compared to patients treated with standard EGFR-TKI therapy. 
SBRT provides excellent local control and an adequate safety profile, but there is a lack of data comparing SBRT to resection among patients eligible for surgery.
Nab-paclitaxel/carboplatin Induction in Squamous NSCLC: Longitudinal Quality of Life While on ChemotherapyDecember 01, 2017
[Lung Cancer: Targets and Therapy] Researchers examine the affect of first-line nab-paclitaxel plus carboplatinon QoL for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
Results of this randomized, phase 3 study comparing oral gefitinib with IV vinorelbine plus cisplatin revealed the effect of these regimens on disease-free survival in patients with exon 19 deletion or exon Leu585Arg NSCLC.
Approval was based on results from ALEX, for which researchers randomly assigned 303 patients with ALK-positive NSCLC not previously treated with systemic therapy to receive alectinib or crizotinib.
This study evaluated the feasibility and potential efficacy of a yoga intervention for patients with NSCLC and their caregivers.
Impact of language barrier and patient ethnicity on time interval from diagnosis to treatment for patients with NSCLC was measured at a public hospital and a private hospital.
Two phase 3 studies reveal the clinical benefit, safety profile, and overall survival of nivolumab and docetaxel for patients with squamous and nonsquamous NSCLC.
Osimertinib in the Treatment of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Design, Development and Place in TherapyOctober 13, 2017
[Lung cancer: Targets and Therapy] This research examines clinical data from Phase I-III trials of osimertinib, discusses mechanisms of resistance to osimertinib, and provides an outlook for the use of osimertinib and novel therapeutic combinations to improve EGFR-mutated NSCLC outcomes.
Researchers present findings of a phase 2 study that compared PFS when SBRT is administered prior to maintenance chemotherapy in patients with limited metastatic NSCLC vs chemotherapy alone. Data was presented at ASTRO 59th Annual Meeting.
Patients with stage III NSCLC have a poor median PFS of 8 months despite achieving a good response to the current standard of care of platinum-based double chemotherapy with concurrent radiotherapy.
Investigators report that administering cannabis to patients with cancer undergoing immunotherapy was found to lower the response rate to therapy but had no effect on PFS or OS, in an oral presentation at ESMO 2017 Congress.
The Lung Cancer Prognostic Index (LCPI) provides additional relevant prognostic data for patients with NSCL and may lead to better outcomes.
An analysis of rates at certain milestones in clinical trials of treatments for mNSCLC suggests these rates reflect end point results for immunotherapies vs targeted and conventional therapies.
Doses May Be Adjusted for Treating NSCLC Patients
Phase 3 clinical trial results show fewer adverse effects and longer survival with alectinib compared with crizotinib in patients with treatment-naïve ALK-positive NSCLC.
Developing a lung cancer screening program involves a number of challenges, including identifying patients in need of screening, patient follow-up, and community support.
A significantly higher 5-year survival rate was seen in a small subset of patients with NSCLC treated with nivolumab.
Risk for cardiac events linked to RT for locally advanced NSCLC, especially in patients with a history of cardiac disease or receiving higher RT doses.
Prospective pilot study demonstrates accuracy of circulating tumor cells as a biomarker indicating lung cancer recurrence.
A study of a large, diverse patient population appears to show an increasing incidence of lung cancer in patients who have never smoked tobacco.
A clinical pathways navigation program for patients with non-small cell lung cancer significantly reduced cost of care while preserving clinical outcomes.
Ceritinib has been granted Priority Review as a first-line treatment for patients with anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK)-positive non-small cell lung cancer.
Elderly with NSCLC have lower incidence of esophagitis, can tolerate aggressive radiation therapy.
There are a growing number of NSCLC patients with advanced disease who are opting to forgo treatment despite the fact that receiving standard of care treatment leads to a higher OS.
Ceritinib is a kinase inhibitor indicated for the treatment of patients with ALK-positive metastatic NSCLC who have progressed on or are intolerant to crizotinib; in this study, researchers determined the efficacy of ceritinib in patients with untreated ALK-rearranged NSCLC.
Study found 21 percent of those with late-stage non-small cell lung cancer went without therapy, even though it could boost survival.
Investigators report on trends in treatment of advanced-stage NSCLC from 2000 to 2011, including impact on survival and total Medicare spending.
Study evaluated differences in survival with respect to the time interval between tumor resection and initiation of postoperative chemotherapy in patients with NSCLC.
The efficacy and safety of atezolizumab in patients with previously treated NSCLC was evaluated in the OAK trial, an open-label, pivotal, phase 3 study, the results of which were recently published.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|