Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for inhalation after reconstitution. To be used with the Respirgard II nebulizer.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NEBUPENT:
For prevention of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PJP) in high-risk, HIV-infected patients defined by one or both of the following criteria: 1) a history of one or more episodes of PJP; 2) a peripheral CD4+ lymphocyte count ≤200/mm3.
>16yrs: 300mg once every 4 weeks administered via the Respirgard II nebulizer. Dose should be delivered until nebulizer chamber is empty (approx. 30–45 minutes).
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Exclude the presence of PJP before starting prophylaxis therapy. History of smoking or asthma. May induce bronchospasm/cough; administer inhaled bronchodilator prior to giving NebuPent dose; do not use Respirgard II nebulizer to administer a bronchodilator. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not mix with other drugs. Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Night sweats, GI upset, anemia, bronchitis, herpes, herpes zoster, flu, oral Candida, pharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infections, headache, chest pain, cough, wheezing, bad taste; monitor closely for serious adverse reactions: hypotension, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypocalcemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hepatic/renal dysfunction, ventricular tachycardia, pancreatitis (discontinue if occurs), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hyperkalemia, abnormal ST segment; rare: extrapulmonary pneumocystosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|