Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for inhalation after reconstitution. To be used with the Respirgard II nebulizer.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NEBUPENT:
For prevention of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PJP) in high-risk, HIV-infected patients defined by one or both of the following criteria: 1) a history of one or more episodes of PJP; 2) a peripheral CD4+ lymphocyte count ≤200/mm3.
>16yrs: 300mg once every 4 weeks administered via the Respirgard II nebulizer. Dose should be delivered until nebulizer chamber is empty (approx. 30–45 minutes).
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Exclude the presence of PJP before starting prophylaxis therapy. History of smoking or asthma. May induce bronchospasm/cough; administer inhaled bronchodilator prior to giving NebuPent dose; do not use Respirgard II nebulizer to administer a bronchodilator. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not mix with other drugs. Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Night sweats, GI upset, anemia, bronchitis, herpes, herpes zoster, flu, oral Candida, pharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infections, headache, chest pain, cough, wheezing, bad taste; monitor closely for serious adverse reactions: hypotension, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypocalcemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hepatic/renal dysfunction, ventricular tachycardia, pancreatitis (discontinue if occurs), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hyperkalemia, abnormal ST segment; rare: extrapulmonary pneumocystosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Self-Predictions for Well-Being Influence Satisfaction After Mastectomy, Breast Reconstruction
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Gabapentin Improves Postoperative Opioid Cessation, But Not Pain Resolution
- Early Integration of Palliative Care Improves Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer
- Cisplatin-Induced Adverse Events in Osteosarcoma Not Improved With Pantoprazole
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Cachexia Not Improved With Celecoxib Plus Megestrol vs Megestrol Alone
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Efficacy and Safety of COX-2 Inhibitors for Advanced Non-small-cell Lung Cancer With Chemotherapy: A Meta-analysis
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|