Naloxone HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Naloxone 0.4mg/mL, 1mg/mL; IV, IM or SC inj; amps (paraben-free); vials.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Naloxone HCl:
Reversal of opioid depression, including respiratory. Diagnosis of acute opioid overdose.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.1–0.2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.4–2mg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins; if no response after 10mg reevaluate. Both may require repeated doses depending on duration of narcotic activity.
See full labeling. Post-op: 0.005–0.01mg/kg IV, IM or SC, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response. Overdose: 0.01mg/kg initially; if inadequate response give 0.1mg/kg body weight. Neonates, post-op: 0.01mg/kg, repeat 2–3 mins until desired response.
Known or suspected opioid dependence; abrupt reversal may precipitate acute withdrawal syndrome. Monitor patients with satisfactory response due to long duration of some narcotics. Post-op use in pre-existing cardiac disease. Have other resuscitative measures available. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Caution with cardiotoxic drugs. Incomplete reversal of buprenorphine or pentazocine; may require higher naloxone dose.
Reversal of opioid depression: nausea, vomiting, sweating, tachycardia, increase BP, tremulousness, seizures, ventricular tacychardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, cardiac arrest. Also, excessive naloxone doses in post-op: reversal of analgesia, agitation.
Formerly known under the brand name Narcan.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Real World Results May Not Mirror Clinical Study Outcomes in Multiple Myeloma
- Is Radioimmunotherapy a Path Forward for Melanoma?
- FDA Approves Mogamulizumab-kpkc for Rare Subtypes of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- New PDL1 Inhibitors for Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Focus on Pembrolizumab
- Handling Chemotherapy Premedications
- NCCIH HerbList App Launched to Provide Information on Herbal Products
- Metformin Use May Improve Survival Outcomes in Bladder Cancer
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Lower Breast Cancer Risk
- Nurse-Led Program Improves Health, Financial Outcomes in Outpatient Chemotherapy
- Seeking Reliable Information on Herbal Products
- FDA, EU Approvals Sought for Split Dose Regimen of Daratumumab for Multiple Myeloma
- 8 Hours of Bedrest May Be Ideal After Intrathecal Chemotherapy in Hematologic Cancers
- Combined Digital Screening Best for Detecting Breast Cancers
- Adding Bevacizumab to First-line Chemotherapy Benefits Selects Cases of Ovarian Cancer
- Assessing Direct Costs of Treatment-Related Adverse Events in Advanced Melanoma
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|