Generic Name and Formulations:
Rifabutin 150mg; hard-gel caps.
Indications for MYCOBUTIN:
Prevention of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) disease in advanced HIV infection.
≥18yrs: 300mg once daily. If inclined to GI upset, may give 150mg twice daily with food. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min), concomitant amprenavir, indinavir, or nelfinavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 50%. Concomitant ritonavir, fosamprenavir/ritonavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, saquinavir/ritonavir, tipranavir/ritonavir: reduce rifabutin dose by 75% (to max 150mg every other day or 3 times per week).
<18yrs: not established.
Active tuberculosis: do not administer. Evaluate and test for tuberculosis before and during therapy; treat with combination antituberculosis regimen if active disease occurs. Suspend therapy if uveitis is suspected. Do hematologic tests periodically. May stain body secretions and contact lenses. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant delavirdine, voriconazole: not recommended. Antagonizes dapsone, sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, zidovudine, oral contraceptives (change or use additional nonhormonal birth control methods) or drugs that are metabolized by CYP3A enzymes (eg, itraconazole, clarithromycin, saquinavir, posaconazole). Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, clarithromycin, posaconazole).
Discolored urine, GI upset, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, fever, myalgia, rash, taste perversion, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia; rare: myositis, uveitis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|