Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrapone 250mg; caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for METOPIRONE:
Diagnostic drug for testing hypothalamic-pituitary ACTH function.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 750mg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. See literature for results interpretation.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 15mg/kg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. A minimum single dose of 250mg is recommended. See literature for results interpretation.
Adrenal cortical insufficiency.
May induce acute adrenal insufficiency in patients with reduced adrenal secretory capacity. Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Adrenal corticosteroid synthesis inhibitor.
Discontinue drugs affecting pituitary and adrenocortical function prior to and during testing. May be antagonized by phenytoin; test may be inaccurate in patients taking phenytoin 2 weeks prior. Subnormal response with estrogen therapy. May potentiate acetaminophen toxicity.
Hypotension, GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness, sedation, rash; rare: decreased WBC, bone marrow depression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|