MESNEX INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesna 100mg/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution; contains benzyl alcohol.
Indications for MESNEX INJECTION:
Prophylactic agent in reducing the incidence of ifosfamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis.
See literature. IV Schedule: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration and 4 and 8 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 60% the ifosfamide dose. IV and oral dosing: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration, followed by the tablets given orally in a dosage equal to 40% of the ifosfamide dose 2 and 6 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 100% of the ifosfamide dose. Repeat schedule on each day ifosfamide is given. If vomiting occurs within 2hrs of oral mesna, repeat dose or give IV mesna.
Hypersensitivity to thiol compounds.
Monitor morning specimen of urine for the presence of hematuria each day prior to ifosfamide therapy; consider dose reduction or discontinue if hematuria occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, fever, anorexia, flatulence, constipation, rhinitis, rigors, back pain, rash, conjunctivitis, arthralgia, headache, inj site reactions, flushing, dizziness, pharyngitis, hyperaesthesia, flu-like symptoms, coughing; hypersensitivity reactions.
Patients taking mesna should drink at least a quart of liquid a day.
Tabs—10; Multidose vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|