Magnesium Sulfate Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Magnesium sulfate 500mg/mL; soln for IM inj; or IV use after dilution; contains aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Magnesium Sulfate Injection:
Mild deficiency: 1g IM every 6 hours for four doses. Severe deficiency: 250mg/kg IM within a period of 4 hours if necessary; alternatively 5g may be added to one liter of 5% dextrose inj or 0.9% sodium chloride inj for slow IV infusion over a 3-hour period. TPN: usual range: 1–3g (8–24mEq) daily. Severe renal impairment: max 20g in 48 hours.
TPN for infants: usual range: 0.25–1.25g (2–10mEq) daily.
Heart block. Myocardial damage.
Renal impairment. Monitor serum magnesium levels; if repeated doses are given, test knee jerk reflexes before each dose. Have injectable calcium salt readily available to counteract magnesium intoxication. Elderly. Premature neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Additive CNS depressant effects with barbiturates, narcotics, other hypnotics; adjust dose. Potentiates neuromuscular blocking agents. Concomitant cardiac glycosides; use extreme caution, heart block may occur.
Magnesium intoxication (eg, flushing, sweating, hypotension, depressed reflexes, flaccid paralysis, hypothermia, circulatory collapse, cardiac and CNS depression proceeding to respiratory paralysis.
Formerly known under the brand name Sulfamag.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Obesity, Male Gender May Improve Survival Outcomes with Targeted and Immunotherapy in Melanoma
- Apalutamide Prolongs Time to Metastasis in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Travel Distance to Prostate Cancer Treatment Influences Treatment Choice
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|