LOPRESSOR INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Metoprolol tartrate 5mg; soln for IV inj.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for LOPRESSOR INJECTION:
In stabilized patients after MI, to reduce mortality.
See literature. Early treatment: initially administer three 5mg IV bolus inj given at approximately 2-minute intervals; monitor BP, HR, ECG. If full IV dose (15mg) tolerable, give 50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose and continue for 48 hours, thereafter, give maintenance dose of 100mg (tab) twice daily; if full IV dose not tolerable, give 25–50mg (tab) every 6 hours starting 15 mins after the last IV dose or as soon as clinical condition allows; if severe intolerance: discontinue treatment. Late treatment: if early phase treatment is contraindicated, intolerable or delayed therapy needed, start with 100mg (tab) twice daily for at least three months.
Significant 1st degree heart block. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Systolic pressure<100mmHg or heart rate <45 beats/min. Moderate-to-severe cardiac failure.
Avoid abrupt discontinuation in ischemic heart disease.
CHF. Monitor heart rate and rhythm; reduce or stop treatment if severe bradycardia develops. Bronchospastic disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Diabetes. Pheochromocytoma. Hyperthyroidism. Surgery. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. May be potentiated by potent CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, fluoxetine, paroxetine, bupropion, thioridazine, quinidine, propafenone, ritonavir, diphenhydramine, hydroxychloroquine, terbinafine, cimetidine), hydralazine, inhalation anesthetics. Increased risk of bradycardia with concomitant digitalis. May block epinephrine. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May enhance vasoconstrictive action of ergots. Withhold before dipyridamole testing.
Fatigue, dizziness, depression, hypotension (discontinue if occurs), diarrhea, rash, dyspnea, bradycardia, cold extremities, palpitations, CHF, peripheral edema, bronchospasm, heart block.
Tabs—100; Ampuls (5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- Two Programs, One Goal: Meeting the Challenges of Oncology Navigation
- Navigating Patients with Hematologic Malignancies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|