LO LOESTRIN Fe Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Norethindrone acetate 1mg, ethinyl estradiol 10micrograms (24 tabs), ethinyl estradiol 10micrograms (2 tabs); inert+ (2 tabs); +contains ferrous fumarate 75mg.
Indications for LO LOESTRIN Fe:
1 tab daily for 28 days; repeat. Take at the same time daily, in the correct order. Start Day 1 of menstrual cycle. Allow at least 4 weeks postpartum, if not breastfeeding, to begin cycle; use backup method for first 7 days.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or thromboembolism, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy. Concomitant ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir.
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Increased risk of cardiovascular events esp. in cigarette smokers >35yrs of age. Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism, and during and after prolonged immobilization. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Gallbladder disease. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Depression. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Do regular complete physical exams. Monitor BP; discontinue if significant rise occurs. May need barrier contraception with Sunday starts or postpartum use (see full labeling). BMI >35kg/m2: not evaluated. Postmenopausal women or nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
See Contraindications. ALT elevations with HCV regimen ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir, with or without dasabuvir; discontinue Lo Loestrin Fe prior to starting HCV regimen and restart 2wks after completion. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort, topiramate); use backup contraception. May be potentiated by atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, or CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole). May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, bleeding irregularities, dysmenorrhea, weight change, breast tenderness, acne, abdominal pain, anxiety, depression; chloasma, serious thromboembolic events, liver disease.
Dispensers—5, 30 (blister cards)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Choice of Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy Affects Satisfaction, Quality of Life
- Carfilzomib Benefits May Outweigh Cardiovascular Risk in Multiple Myeloma
- The Caregivers' Cancer Journey
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Fertility Preservation in Hodgkin's Lymphoma Patients That Undergo Targeted Molecular Therapies: An Important Step Forward From the Chemotherapy Era
- Survey of ACEP Councilors Reveals NP, PA Staffing Models, Practice Patterns Vary
- Breath Analysis May Be an Effective Diagnostic for Pancreatic Cancer
- Genetic Susceptibility to Pancreatic Cancer Linked to 6 Specific Gene Mutations
- Dinner Hour and Sleep Habits Affect Risk of Breast, Prostate Cancers
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|