Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- 5-Year Overall Survival in Endometrial Cancer Not Improved With Chemoradiotherapy
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|