Generic Name and Formulations:
Desirudin 15mg/vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; preservative-free; diluent contains mannitol.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for IPRIVASK:
DVT prophylaxis in patients undergoing hip replacement surgery.
Not interchangeable with other hirudins. Give by SC inj, preferably in abdomen or thigh. 15mg every 12hrs starting up to 5–15min before surgery (after induction of regional block anesthesia, if used); may continue for 9–12 days post-op. Renal impairment (CrCl<60mL/min): reduce dose (see full labeling).
Traumatic or repeated neuraxial puncture. Post-op indwelling epidural catheter (place catheter before starting therapy and remove when desirudin effect is low). Hemorrhagic stroke. Recent surgery or biopsy. Diabetic retinopathy. Severe uncontrolled hypertension. Recent GI or pulmonary bleeding. Bacterial endocarditis. Renal impairment: monitor aPTT and serum creatinine closely. Hepatic impairment. Monitor for neurological impairment (may indicate spinal/epidural hematoma). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Direct thrombin inhibitor (recombinant hirudin).
Concomitant heparins (fractionated or unfractionated): not recommended. Concomitant NSAIDs, platelet inhibitors, other anticoagulants: increased risk of bleeding, neuraxial hematoma with epidural catheters; discontinue these and others that increase bleeding risk (eg, glucocorticoids, Dextran 40) before starting desirudin. Caution with drugs that affect platelets (eg, salicylates, ticlopidine, clopidogrel, abciximab, gp IIb/IIIa antagonists). Switching to or from coumadin: monitor closely.
Bleeding, inj site reaction/mass, nausea, anaphylaxis, antibody formation.
Single-use vials—10 (w. diluent, supplies)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Study Finds Association Between Folate Intake and Risk of Cutaneous Melanoma
- Qualitative Analysis of Myeloma Patients' Experience Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant
- Melanoma Outcomes Improved With Nivolumab Alone or Plus Ipilimumab
- Involved-Field Radiotherapy Plus Chemotherapy Prolonged PFS in Follicular Lymphoma
- Patient Fears of Placebo Use in Clinical Trials
- Implementing an Ambulatory Adherence Program May Improve Oral Anticancer Medications Compliance
- Exercise Habits Influence Mortality in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer
- Managing Dyspnea With Fentanyl in Patients With Cancer at End of Life
- CALM: A Depression Intervention for Cancer Patients at the End of Life
- High BMI Among Premenopausal Women May Improve Risk for Breast Cancer
- Genetic Link Between Depression and Breast Cancer Remains Unclear
- Bariatric Surgery Reduced Risk of Some Cancers in Obese Patients
- Bleeding Disorder Treatments: Hemophilia A
- Guideline Recommendations Offer No OS Benefit for Younger Patients With Rectal Cancer
- Bleeding Disorder Treatments: von Willebrand Disease
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|