“An oncology nurse might note the results of our study, which was large (23,000 breast cancer cases, nearly 8,000 deaths from all causes, and about 3,500 [deaths] from breast cancer). We also had data on postdiagnostic consumption [for] about 5,000 women, so we were able to examine the effects of alcohol after diagnosis.”
“These findings point to a need for more comprehensive counseling—one that is focused on the overall health and survival of the patient,” said Demark-Wahnefried (e-mail communication, April 12, 2013). She added, “The analysis did not control for exercise, thus future studies need to address this important component.” ONA
Kathy Boltz is a medical writer based in Phoenix, Arizona.
1. Newcomb PA, Kampman E, Trentham-Dietz A, et al. Alcohol consumption before and after breast cancer diagnosis: associations with survival from breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, and other causes. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(16):1939-1946. doi:10.1200/jco.2012.46.5765.
2. Hamajima N, Hirose K, Tajima K, et al; Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer. Alcohol, tobacco and breast cancer–collaborative reanalysis of individual data from 53 epidemiological studies, including 58,515 women with breast cancer and 95,067 women without the disease. Br J Cancer. 2002;87(11):1234-1245.
3. Parry C, Kent EE, Mariotto AB, et al. Cancer survivors: a booming population. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011;20(10):1996-2005.
4. Siegel R, DeSantis C, Virgo K, et al. Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62(4):220-241.
5. Demark-Wahnefried W, Goodwin PJ. To your health: how does the latest research on alcohol and breast cancer inform clinical practice? J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(16):1917-1919. doi:10.1200/JCO.2013.49.0466.
6. Flatt SW, Thomson CA, Gold EB, et al. Low to moderate alcohol intake is not associated with increased mortality after breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010;19(3):681-688.
7. Kwan ML, Chen WY, Flatt SW, et al. Postdiagnosis alcohol consumption and breast cancer prognosis in the after breast cancer pooling project. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013;22(1):32-41.
8. Rock CL, Doyle C, Demark-Wahnefried W, et al. Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012;62(4):243-274.