“Teamwork and collaboration among departments of nuclear medicine staff, radiation-safety personnel, radiology nursing and the physicians are needed to successfully treat patients,” reported Lora Hromadik, PhD, RN, of the University of the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and colleagues in a recent paper.2
“Detailed and specific guidelines are needed to create a conducive environment for administration of [Lu-177],” they wrote.2 “In the process, patients need the emotional support of caring staff to work through their anxiety concerning this new treatment they are undertaking. Consistently, patients refer to embarking on their [Lu-177] treatment as a journey of hope.”
1. Stansel C. Lutathera implementation: a multidisciplinary approach. Poster presented at: ONS 44th Annual Congress; April 11-14, 2019; Anaheim, CA.
2. Hromadik LK, Sturges L. Caring for patients receiving 177Lu-DOTATATE, Lutathera®: a treatment of hope for patients with gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. J Radiol Nursing. 2019;38(1):28-32.
3. Romanowski K, Lehman M, Hollada L, Snavely S, Gervais S. Development of a safe administration process for Lutathera in an outpatient treatment center. Poster presented at: ONS 44th Annual Congress; April 11-14, 2019; Anaheim, CA.
4. FDA approves new treatment for certain digestive tract cancers [news release]. US Food and Drug Administration website; January 26, 2018. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-treatment-certain-digestive-tract-cancers. Accessed June 12, 2019.
5. Cipriano M. Expanded access data supported Lutathera approval, US FDA notes. Pink Sheet: Informa Pharma Intelligence website. https://pink.pharmaintelligence.informa.com/PS122407/Expanded-Access-Data-Supported-Lutathera-Approval-US-FDA-Notes. Published January 29, 2018. Accessed June 12, 2019.
6. Wertz V, Salom M, Benoit T, David K, Tsung F. Incidence of extravasation in 177 Lu-DOTATATE. Poster presented at: ONS 44th Annual Congress; April 11-14, 2019; Anaheim, CA.
7. Ramage J, Naraev BG, Halfdanarson TR. Peptide receptor radionuclide therapy for patients with advanced pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Semin Oncol. 2018;45(4):236-248.
8. Doering R, Lombardi J, Strickland M, Larsen T. Back to the future – radiation safety concerns back at the bedside. Poster presented at: ONS 44th Annual Congress; April 11-14, 2019; Anaheim, CA.