Several limitations of our study should be acknowledged. First, this was a retrospective study with a relatively small sample. Second, because of the small sample size, our analysis did not differentiate between laparoscopic and open surgery. Future studies with prospective design and large sample size are warranted. In particular, it is desirable to develop a comprehensive score based on mGPS, CAR, and poGPS. And the score should be easy to evaluate in clinical practice. It would help clinicians detect early postoperative complications and intervene promptly, thereby reducing the duration and costs of hospitalization, and promoting rapid recovery.
This study was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 81702345).
All authors contributed to data analysis, drafting or revising the article, gave final approval of the version to be published, and agree to be accountable for all aspects of the work.
The authors have no conflicts of interest in this work.
Wenhao Man,* Huajun Lin,* Zhao Liu, Lei Jin, Jin Wang, Jun Zhang, Zhigang Bai, Hongwei Yao, Zhongtao Zhang, Wei Deng
Department of General Surgery, Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University and National Clinical Research Center for Digestive Diseases, Beijing 100050, People’s Republic of China
*These authors contributed equally to this work
Correspondence: Wei Deng
Department of General Surgery, Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University, No. 95 Yongan Road, Xicheng District, Beijing 100050, People’s Republic of China
Tel +86 134 2613 6152
Email [email protected]
1. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2019. CA Cancer J Clin. 2019;69(1):7–34. doi:10.3322/caac.21551
2. Zhang Y, Chen Z, Li J. The current status of treatment for colorectal cancer in China: a systematic review. Medicine. 2017;96(40):e8242. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000008242
3. Nicholson A, Lowe MC, Parker J, Lewis SR, Alderson P, Smith AF. Systematic review and meta-analysis of enhanced recovery programmes in surgical patients. Br J Surg. 2014;101(3):172–188. doi:10.1002/bjs.2014.101.issue-3
4. Aoyama T, Oba K, Honda M, et al. Impact of postoperative complications on the colorectal cancer survival and recurrence: analyses of pooled individual patients’ data from three large Phase III randomized trials. Cancer Med. 2017;6(7):1573–1580. doi:10.1002/cam4.2017.6.issue-7
5. Brown SR, Mathew R, Keding A, Marshall HC, Brown JM, Jayne DG. The impact of postoperative complications on long-term quality of life after curative colorectal cancer surgery. Ann Surg. 2014;259(5):916–923. doi:10.1097/SLA.0000000000000407
6. Govaert JA, Fiocco M, van Dijk WA, et al. Costs of complications after colorectal cancer surgery in the Netherlands: building the business case for hospitals. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015;41(8):1059–1067. doi:10.1016/j.ejso.2015.03.236
7. Hendren S, Birkmeyer JD, Yin H, Banerjee M, Sonnenday C, Morris AM. Surgical complications are associated with omission of chemotherapy for stage III colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. 2010;53(12):1587–1593. doi:10.1007/DCR.0b013e3181f2f202
8. Watt DG, McSorley ST, Horgan PG, McMillan DC. Enhanced recovery after surgery: which components, if any, impact on the systemic inflammatory response following colorectal surgery? A systematic review. Medicine. 2015;94(36):e1286. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000001286
9. Warschkow R, Beutner U, Steffen T, et al. Safe and early discharge after colorectal surgery due to C-reactive protein: a diagnostic meta-analysis of 1832 patients. Ann Surg. 2012;256(2):245–250. doi:10.1097/SLA.0b013e31825b60f0
10. Labgaa I, Joliat GR, Kefleyesus A, et al. Is postoperative decrease of serum albumin an early predictor of complications after major abdominal surgery? A prospective cohort study in a European centre. BMJ Open. 2017;7(4):e013966. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013966
11. McMillan DC. The systemic inflammation-based Glasgow Prognostic Score: a decade of experience in patients with cancer. Cancer Treat Rev. 2013;39(5):534–540. doi:10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.08.003
12. Watt DG, McSorley ST, Park JH, Horgan PG, McMillan DC. A postoperative systemic inflammation score predicts short- and long-term outcomes in patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2017;24(4):1100–1109. doi:10.1245/s10434-016-5659-4
13. Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA. Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg. 2004;240(2):205–213. doi:10.1097/01.sla.0000133083.54934.ae
14. Berrios-Torres SI, Umscheid CA, Bratzler DW, et al. Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017. JAMA Surg. 2017;152(8):784–791. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0904
15. Egenvall M, Morner M, Martling A, Gunnarsson U. Prediction of outcome after curative surgery for colorectal cancer: preoperative haemoglobin, C-reactive protein and albumin. Colorectal Dis. 2018;20(1):26–34. doi:10.1111/codi.13807
16. Li C, Xu Q, Chen L, Luo C, Ying J, Liu J. C-reactive protein (CRP) as a prognostic factor for colorectal cancer after surgical resection of pulmonary metastases. Bull Cancer. 2017;104(3):232–236. doi:10.1016/j.bulcan.2016.11.016
17. Nason GJ, Barry BD, Obinwa O, McMacken E, Rajaretnam NS, Neary PC. Early rise in C-reactive protein is a marker for infective complications in laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2014;24(1):57–61. doi:10.1097/SLE.0b013e31828fa03e
18. Hubner M, Mantziari S, Demartines N, Pralong F, Coti-Bertrand P, Schafer M. Postoperative albumin drop is a marker for surgical stress and a predictor for clinical outcome: a pilot study. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2016;2016:8743187. doi:10.1155/2016/8743187
19. Rettig TC, Verwijmeren L, Dijkstra IM, Boerma D, van de Garde EM, Noordzij PG. Postoperative interleukin-6 level and early detection of complications after elective major abdominal surgery. Ann Surg. 2016;263(6):1207–1212. doi:10.1097/SLA.0000000000001342
20. Cook EJ, Walsh SR, Farooq N, Alberts JC, Justin TA, Keeling NJ. Post-operative neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio predicts complications following colorectal surgery. Int J Surg. 2007;5(1):27–30. doi:10.1016/j.ijsu.2006.05.013
21. Garcia-Martinez R, Caraceni P, Bernardi M, Gines P, Arroyo V, Jalan R. Albumin: pathophysiologic basis of its role in the treatment of cirrhosis and its complications. Hepatology (Baltimore, Md.). 2013;58(5):1836–1846. doi:10.1002/hep.26338
22. Liu J, Wang F, Li S, Huang W, Jia Y, Wei C. The prognostic significance of preoperative serum albumin in urothelial carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Biosci Rep. 2018;38(4). doi:10.1042/BSR20180214
23. Xu XL, Yu HQ, Hu W, Song Q, Mao WM. A novel inflammation-based prognostic score, the C-reactive protein/albumin ratio predicts the prognosis of patients with operable esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS One. 2015;10(9):e0138657. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0138657
24. Moghadamyeghaneh Z, Hwang G, Hanna MH, et al. Even modest hypoalbuminemia affects outcomes of colorectal surgery patients. Am J Surg. 2015;210(2):276–284. doi:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.12.038
25. Alazawi W, Pirmadjid N, Lahiri R, Bhattacharya S. Inflammatory and immune responses to surgery and their clinical impact. Ann Surg. 2016;264(1):73–80. doi:10.1097/SLA.0000000000001691
26. Bhangu A, Ademuyiwa AO, Aguilera ML, et al. Surgical site infection after gastrointestinal surgery in high-income, middle-income, and low-income countries: a prospective, international, multicentre cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018;18(5):516–525. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30101-4
27. Goulart A, Ferreira C, Estrada A, et al. Early inflammatory biomarkers as predictive factors for freedom from infection after colorectal cancer surgery: a prospective cohort study. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018;19(4):446–450. doi:10.1089/sur.2017.294
28. Smith SR, Pockney P, Holmes R, et al. Biomarkers and anastomotic leakage in colorectal surgery: C-reactive protein trajectory is the gold standard. ANZ J Surg. 2018;88(5):440–444. doi:10.1111/ans.2018.88.issue-5
Source: Cancer Management and Research.
Originally published February 11, 2020.
READ FULL ARTICLE From Dovepress