In conclusion, our meta-analysis demonstrates the positive efficacy of postoperative chemotherapy alone in stage I–II, I, and IB NSCLC with mild toxicity, but a significant benefit was not found in IA patients. Meanwhile, this meta-analysis also indicates that efficacy of cisplatin-based chemotherapy is comparable to single UFT chemotherapy in OS, but better than single UFT chemotherapy in DFS; however, further studies are needed to verify these findings in clinical practice. In view of few trials that have assessed the effects of postoperative chemotherapy alone in stage IA and II patients, we suggest that more trials should be conducted to confirm the effectivity of postoperative chemotherapy in stage IA and II NSCLC patients in future.
This work was supported by National High Technology Research and Development Program of China [grant number: 2012AA02A502]. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
The authors declared no conflict of interest.
Yuan-Yuan Chen,* Lin-Wei Wang,* Shu-Yi Wang, Bi-Bo Wu, Zhen-Meng Wang, Fang-Fang Chen, Bin Xiong
Department of Oncology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Hubei Key Laboratory of Tumor Biological Behaviors and Hubei Cancer Clinical Study Center, Wuhan, Hubei, People’s Republic of China
*These authors contributed equally to this work
1. Cheng X, Chen H. Tumor heterogeneity and resistance to EGFR-targeted therapy in advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer: challenges and perspectives. Onco Targets Ther. 2014;7:1689–1704.
2. Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D. Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin. 2011;61(2):69–90.
3. Molina JR, Yang P, Cassivi SD, Schild SE, Adjei AA. Non-small cell lung cancer: epidemiology, risk factors, treatment, and survivorship. Mayo Clin Proc. 2008;83(5):584–594.
4. Hotta K, Matsuo K, Ueoka H, Kiura K, Tabata M, Tanimoto M. Role of adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with resected non-small-cell lung cancer: reappraisal with a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(19):3860–3867.
5. Thomas P, Doddoli C, Thirion X, et al. Stage I non-small cell lung cancer: a pragmatic approach to prognosis after complete resection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002;73(4):1065–1070.
6. Karim-Kos HE, de Vries E, Soerjomataram I, Lemmens V, Siesling S, Coebergh JW. Recent trends of cancer in Europe: a combined approach of incidence, survival and mortality for 17 cancer sites since the 1990s. Eur J Cancer. 2008;44(10):1345–1389.
7. Chansky K, Sculier JP, Crowley JJ, et al. The International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer Staging Project: prognostic factors and pathologic TNM stage in surgically managed non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4(7):792–801.
8. Pfister DG, Johnson DH, Azzoli CG, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology treatment of unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer guideline: update 2003. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(2):330–353.
9. Baggstrom MQ, Stinchcombe TE, Fried DB, Poole C, Hensing TA, Socinski MA. Third-generation chemotherapy agents in the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis. J Thorac Oncol. 2007;2(9):845–853.
10. Pignon JP, Tribodet H, Scagliotti GV, et al. Lung adjuvant cisplatin evaluation: a pooled analysis by the LACE Collaborative Group. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(21):3552–3559.
11. Endo C, Saito Y, Iwanami H, et al. A randomized trial of postoperative UFT therapy in p stage I, II non-small cell lung cancer: North-east Japan Study Group for Lung Cancer Surgery. Lung Cancer. 2003;40(2):181–186.
12. Kato H, Ichinose Y, Ohta M, et al. A randomized trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with uracil-tegafur for adenocarcinoma of the lung. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(17):1713–1721.
13. Nakagawa M, Tanaka F, Tsubota N, et al. A randomized phase III trial of adjuvant chemotherapy with UFT for completely resected pathological stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: the West Japan Study Group for Lung Cancer Surgery (WJSG) – the 4th study. Ann Oncol. 2005;16(1):75–80.
14. Roselli M, Mariotti S, Ferroni P, et al. Postsurgical chemotherapy in stage IB nonsmall cell lung cancer: Long-term survival in a randomized study. Int J Cancer. 2006;119(4):955–960.
15. Butts CA, Ding K, Seymour L, et al. Randomized phase III trial of vinorelbine plus cisplatin compared with observation in completely resected stage IB and II non-small-cell lung cancer: updated survival analysis of JBR-10. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(1):29–34.
16. No authors listed. Postoperative radiotherapy in non-small-cell lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual patient data from nine randomised controlled trials. PORT Meta-analysis Trialists Group. Lancet. 1998;352(9124):257–263.
17. Scagliotti GV, Fossati R, Torri V, et al. Randomized study of adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected stage I, II, or IIIA non-small-cell Lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95(19):1453–1461.
18. Arriagada R, Bergman B, Dunant A, et al. Cisplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with completely resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2004;350(4):351–360.
19. NSCLC Meta-analyses Collaborative Group; Arriagada R, Auperin A, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy, with or without postoperative radiotherapy, in operable non-small-cell lung cancer: two meta-analyses of individual patient data. Lancet. 2010;375(9722):1267–1277.
20. No authors listed. Chemotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer: a meta-analysis using updated data on individual patients from 52 randomised clinical trials. Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Collaborative Group. BMJ. 1995;311(7010):899–909.
21. Tierney JF, Stewart LA, Ghersi D, Burdett S, Sydes MR. Practical methods for incorporating summary time-to-event data into meta-analysis. Trials. 2007;8:16.
22. Higgins JP, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, et al. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. BMJ. 2011;343:d5928.
23. Bucher HC, Guyatt GH, Griffith LE, Walter SD. The results of direct and indirect treatment comparisons in meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Epidemiol. 1997;50(6):683–691.
24. Begg CB, Mazumdar M. Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics. 1994;50(4):1088–1101.
25. Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ. 1997;315(7109):629–634.
26. Feld R, Rubinstein L, Thomas PA. Adjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in patients with completely resected stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. The Lung Cancer Study Group. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993;85(4):299–306.
27. Winton T, Livingston R, Johnson D, et al. Vinorelbine plus cisplatin vs. observation in resected non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(25):2589–2597.
28. Feld R, Rubinstein L, Thomas PA. Adjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in patients with completely resected stage I non-small cell lung cancer. An LCSG Trial. Chest. 1994;106(6 Suppl):307S–309S.
29. Niiranen A, Niitamo-Korhonen S, Kouri M, Assendelft A, Mattson K, Pyrhönen S. Adjuvant chemotherapy after radical surgery for non-small-cell lung cancer: a randomized study. J Clin Oncol. 1992;10(12):1927–1932.
30. Wada H, Hitomi S, Teramatsu T. Adjuvant chemotherapy after complete resection in non-small-cell lung cancer. West Japan Study Group for Lung Cancer Surgery. J Clin Oncol. 1996;14(4):1048–1054.
31. Mineo TC, Ambrogi V, Corsaro V, Roselli M. Postoperative adjuvant therapy for stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001;20(2):378–384.
32. Imaizumi M; Study Group of Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer (Chubu, Japan). Postoperative adjuvant cisplatin, vindesine, plus uracil-tegafur chemotherapy increased survival of patients with completely resected p-stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2005;49(1):85–94.
33. Park JH, Lee CT, Lee HW, Baek HJ, Zo JI, Shim YM. Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005;27(6):1086–1091.
34. Nakagawa K, Tada H, Akashi A, et al. Randomised study of adjuvant chemotherapy for completely resected p-stage I-IIIA non-small cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2006;95(7):817–821.
35. Strauss GM, Herndon JE 2nd, Maddaus MA, et al. Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and North Central Cancer Treatment Group Study Groups. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(31):5043–5051.
36. Felip E, Rosell R, Maestre JA, et al. Preoperative chemotherapy plus surgery versus surgery plus adjuvant chemotherapy versus surgery alone in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(19):3138–3145.
37. Wada H, Miyahara R, Tanaka F, Hitomi S. Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy with PVM (Cisplatin + Vindesine + Mitomycin C) and UFT (Uracil + Tegaful) in resected stage I-II NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer): a randomized clinical trial. West Japan Study Group for lung cancer surgery (WJSG). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999;15(4):438–443.
38. Hamada C, Tanaka F, Ohta M, et al. Meta-analysis of postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy with tegafur-uracil in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(22):4999–5006.
39. Bria E, Gralla RJ, Raftopoulos H, et al. Magnitude of benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Lung Cancer. 2009;63(1):50–57.
40. Berghmans T, Paesmans M, Meert AP, et al. Survival improvement in resectable non-small cell lung cancer with (neo)adjuvant chemotherapy: results of a meta-analysis of the literature. Lung Cancer. 2005;49(1):13–23.
41. Sedrakyan A, Van Der Meulen J, O’Byrne K, Prendiville J, Hill J, Treasure T. Postoperative chemotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;128(3):414–419.
Source: OncoTargets and Therapy.
Originally published on August 4, 2015.