27. Flaherty KT, Robert C, Hersey P, et al; METRIC Study Group. Improved survival with MEK inhibition in BRAF-mutated melanoma N Engl J Med. 2012;367(2):107–114.
28. Bedikian AY, Weiss GR, Legha SS, et al. Phase II trial of docetaxel in patients with advanced cutaneous malignant melanoma previously untreated with chemotherapy J Clin Oncol. 1995;13(12):2895–2899.
29. Avril MF, Aamdal S, Grob JJ, et al. Fotemustine compared with dacarbazine in patients with disseminated malignant melanoma: a phase III study J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(6):1118–1125.
30. Flaherty KT, Puzanov I, Kim KB, et al. Inhibition of mutated, activated BRAF in metastatic melanoma N Engl J Med. 2010;363(9):809–819.
31. Flaherty KT, Infante JR, Daud A, et al. Combined BRAF and MEK inhibition in melanoma with BRAF V600 mutations N Engl J Med. 2012;367(18):1694–1703.
32. Atkins MB, Kunkel L, Sznol M, Rosenberg SA. High-dose recombinant interleukin-2 therapy in patients with metastatic melanoma: long-term survival update Cancer J Sci Am. 2000;6 Suppl 1:S11–S14.
33. Hodi FS, O’Day SJ, McDermott DF, et al. Improved survival with ipilimumab in patients with metastatic melanoma N Engl J Med. 2010;363(8):711–723.
34. Rosenberg SA, Yang JC, Sherry RM, et al. Durable complete responses in heavily pretreated patients with metastatic melanoma using T-cell transfer immunotherapy Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17(13):4550–4557.
35. Topalian SL, Hodi FS, Brahmer JR, et al. Safety, activity, and immune correlates of anti-PD-1 antibody in cancer N Engl J Med. 2012;366(26):2443–2454.
36. Topalian SL, Sznol M, McDermott DF, et al. Survival, durable tumor remission, and long-term safety in patients with advanced melanoma receiving nivolumab J Clin Oncol. 2014;32(10):1020–1030.
37. Hamid O, Robert C, Daud A, et al. Safety and tumor responses with lambrolizumab (anti-PD-1) in melanoma N Engl J Med. 2013;369(2):134–144.
38. Wolchok JD, Kluger H, Callahan MK, et al. Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma N Engl J Med. 2013;369(2):122–133.
39. Brahmer JR, Tykodi SS, Chow LQ, et al. Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer N Engl J Med. 2012;366(26):2455–2465.
40. Finke LH, Wentworth K, Blumenstein B, Rudolph NS, Levitsky H, Hoos A. Lessons from randomized phase III studies with active cancer immunotherapies – outcomes from the 2006 meeting of the Cancer Vaccine Consortium (CVC) Vaccine. 2007;25 Suppl 2:B97–B109.
41. Ernstoff MS. Been there, not done that – melanoma in the age of molecular therapy N Engl J Med. 2011;364(26):2547–2548.
42. Coventry BJ, Lilly CA, Hersey P, Michele A, Bright RJ. Prolonged repeated vaccine immune-chemotherapy induces long-term clinical responses and survival for advanced metastatic melanoma J Immunother Cancer. 2014;2:9.
43. Ashdown M, Coventry B. Window of opportunity [cover story] Australasian Science. Jun 2014.
44. Coventry BJ, Ashdown ML. Complete clinical responses to cancer therapy caused by multiple divergent approaches: a repeating theme lost in translation Cancer Manag Res. 2012;4:137–149.
45. Slominski AT, Carlson JA. Melanoma resistance: a bright future for academicians and a challenge for patient advocates Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89(4):429–433.
Source: Cancer Management and Research.
Originally published on April 29, 2015.