In addition, candidates:
- Can demonstrate they have financial need as a direct result of their cancer experience,
- Have needs that are immediate, and
- Lack resources/other sources of support.4
Nurses, navigators, and patients can find more information about The Samfund, including contact information, on its web site, www.thesamfund.org.
1. Zafar SY. Financial toxicity of cancer care: it’s time to intervene [published online ahead of print December 11, 2015]. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015;108(5). doi:10.1093/jnci/djv370.
2. Ramsey S, Blough D, Kirchhoff A, et al. Washington State cancer patients found to be at greater risk for bankruptcy than people without a cancer diagnosis. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013;32(6):1143-1152. doi:10.1377/hlthaff.2012.1263.
3. Ramsey SD, Bansal A, Fedorenko CR, et al. Financial insolvency as a risk factor for early mortality among patients with cancer [published online ahead of print January 25, 2016]. J Clin Oncol. doi:10.1200/JCO.2015.64.6620.
4. the samfund. http://www.thesamfund.org. Accessed March 30, 2016.
5. Landwehr MS, Watson SE, Macpherson CF, Novak KA, Johnson RH. The cost of cancer: a retrospective analysis of the financial impact of cancer on young adults. Cancer Med. doi:10.1002/cam4.657.