4. Vaupel P, Thews O, Hoeckel M, et al. Treatment resistance of solid tumors: role of hypoxia and anemia. Med Oncol. 2001;18(4):243-259.
5. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Cancer- and chemotherapy-induced anemia. Version 2.2012. NCCN Web site. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed January 3, 2012.
6. Rizzo JD, Brouwers M, Hurley P, et al; American Society of Clinical Oncology; American Society of Hematology. American Society of Clinical Oncology/American Society of Hematology clinical practice guideline update on the use of epoetin and darbepoetin in adult patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(33):4996-5010.
7. Thomas G, Ali S, Hoebers FJ, et al. Phase III trial to evaluate the efficacy of maintaining hemoglobin levels above 12.0 g/dL with erythropoietin vs above 10.0 g/dL without erythropoietin in anemic patients receiving concurrent radiation and cisplatin for cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2008;108(2):317-325.
8. Leyland-Jones B, Semiglazov V, Pawlicki M, et al. Maintaining normal hemoglobin levels with epoetin alfa in mainly nonanemic patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving first-line chemotherapy: a survival study. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23(25):5960-5972.
9. Untch M, Fasching PA, Konecny GE, et al; Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynäkologische Onkologie PREPARE investigators. PREPARE trial: a randomized phase III trial comparing preoperative, dose-dense, dose-intesified chemotherapy with epirubicin, paclitaxel and CMF versus a standard-dosed epirubicin/cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel darbepoetin alfa in primary breast cancer—results at the time of surgery. Ann Oncol. 2011;22(9):1988-1998.
10. Hedenus M, Adriansson M, San Miguel J, et al; Darbepoetin Alfa 20000161 Study Group. Efficacy and safety of darbepoetin alfa in anaemic patients with lymphoproliferative malignancies: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Br J Haematol. 2003;122(3):394-403.
11. Smith RE Jr, Aapro MS, Ludwig H, et al. Darbepoetin alfa for the treatment of anemia in patients with active cancer not receiving chemotherapy or radiotherapy: results of a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26(7):1040-1050.
12. Wright JR, Ung YC, Julian JA, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of erythropoietin in non-small-cell lung cancer with disease-related anemia. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(4):1027-1032.
13. Overgaard J, Hoff C, Sand Hansen H, el at. Randomized study of the importance of novel erythropoiesis stimulating protein (Aranesp®) for the effect of radiotherapy in patients with primary squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC)—the Danish Head and Neck Cancer Group DAHANCA 10 randomized trial. Eur J Cancer Suppl. 2007;5(6):7.
14. Henke M, Laszig R, Rübe C, et al. Erythropoietin to treat head and neck cancer patients with anaemia undergoing radiotherapy: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2003;362(9392):1255-1260.
15. Bohlius J, Schmidlin K, Brillant C, et al. Erythropoietin or darbepoetin for patients with cancer—meta-analysis based on individual patient data. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(3):CD007303.
16. Bennett CL, Silver SM, Djulbegovic B, et al. Venous thromboembolism and mortality associated with recombinant erythropoietin and darbepoetin administration for the treatment of cancer-associated anemia. JAMA. 2008;299(8):914-924.
17. Procrit [package insert]. Thousand Oaks, CA: Amgen; 2011.
18. Epogen [package insert]. Thousand Oaks, CA: Amgen; 2011.
19. Aranesp [package insert]. Thousand Oaks, CA: Amgen; 2011.
20. Weiss G, Goodnough LT. Anemia of chronic disease. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(10):1011-1023.
21. Questions and answers on the federal register notice on drugs and biological products deemed to have Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies. U.S. Food and Drug Administration Web site. http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/FederalFoodDrugandCosmeticActFDCAct/SignificantAmendmentstotheFDCAct/FoodandDrugAdministrationAmendmentsActof2007/ucm095439.htm. Accessed January 3, 2012.
22. ESA APPRISE Oncology Program. Welcome to the ESA APPRISE Oncology Program. https://www.esa-apprise.com/ESAAppriseUI/ESAAppriseUI/default.jsp. Accessed January 3, 2012.
HOW TO TAKE THE POST-TEST: To obtain CE credit, please click here after reading the article to take the post-test on myCME.com.