This is the largest population-based study to describe the demographics and analyze the prognosis of patients with bone sarcomas in the hands or feet. The OS and CSS rates of all patients at 10 years were 66.1% and 73.7%, respectively. Independent predictors of OS include age, stage, grade, surgery, and tumor sequence. The decade of diagnosis, stage, grade, and surgery were independent predictors of CSS. For all tumor types, the most important prognostic factor was whether metastasis had occurred at the time of initial diagnosis. The results of this study may allow orthopedists to better understand the features and outcomes of bone sarcomas in the hands or feet. It may also be helpful for patient health education and lay a solid foundation for future research.
This work was supported by the 2017 Zhejiang provincial medical and health science and technology project (Grant no. 2017KY392).
The authors report no conflicts of interest in this work.
Zhan Wang,1,* Shu Li,2,* Yong Li,1 Nong Lin,1 Xin Huang,1 Meng Liu,1 Weibo Pan,1 Xiaobo Yan,1Lingling Sun,1 Hengyuan, Li,1 Binghao Li,1 Hao Qu,1 Yan Wu,1 Peng Lin,1 Zhaoming Ye1
1Department of Orthopaedics, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Centre for Orthopaedic Research, Orthopedics Research Institute of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China; 2Key Laboratory of Cancer Prevention and Intervention, Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Medical Sciences, National Ministry of Education, Department of Hematology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Cancer Institute, Hangzhou, China
*These authors contributed equally to this work
1. Hsu CS, Hentz VR, Yao J. Tumours of the hand. Lancet Oncol. 2007;8:157–166.
2. Murari TM, Callaghan JJ, Berrey BH Jr, Sweet DE. Primary benign and malignant osseous neoplasms of the foot.Foot Ankle. 1989;10:68–80.
3. Anninga JK, Picci P, Fiocco M, et al. Osteosarcoma of the hands and feet: a distinct clinico-pathological subgroup. Virchows Arch. 2013;462:109–120.
4. Damron TA, Ward WG, Stewart A. Osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, and Ewing’s sarcoma: National Cancer Data Base Report. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;459:40–47.
5. Ogose A, Unni KK, Swee RG, May GK, Rowland CM, Sim FH. Chondrosarcoma of small bones of the hands and feet. Cancer. 1997;80:50–59.
6. Bakotic BW, Borkowski P. Primary soft-tissue neoplasms of the foot: the clinicopathologic features of 401 cases.J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001;40:28–35.
7. DeGroot H 3rd. Approach to the management of soft tissue tumors of the foot and ankle. Foot Ankle Spec. 2008;1:168–176.
8. Bishop AJ, Zagars GK, Moon BS, Lin PP, Lewis VO, Guadagnolo BA. Combined limb-sparing surgery and radiation therapy to treat sarcomas of the hands and feet: long-term cancer outcomes and morbidity. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015;92:1060–1068.
9. Yang P, Evans S, Bali N, et al. Malignant bone tumours of the foot. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99:568–572.
10. Henderson M, Neumeister MW, Bueno RA Jr. Hand tumors: II. Benign and malignant bone tumors of the hand.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133:814e–821e.
11. Farzan M, Ahangar P, Mazoochy H, Ardakani MV. Osseous tumours of the hand: a review of 99 cases in 20 years. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2013;1:68–73.
12. Saglik Y, Atalar H, Armangil M, Basarir K, Yildiz Y, Bilgin S. Management of tumors and tumor-like lesions of the hand: a review of 191 patients. Eklem Hastalik Cerrahisi. 2013;24:149–155.
13. Bakotic B, Huvos AG. Tumors of the bones of the feet: the clinicopathologic features of 150 cases. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2001;40:277–286.
14. Mukherjee D, Chaichana KL, Gokaslan ZL, Aaronson O, Cheng JS, McGirt MJ. Survival of patients with malignant primary osseous spinal neoplasms: results from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database from 1973 to 2003. J Neurosurg Spine. 2011;14:143–150.
15. Kawai A, Healey JH, Boland PJ, Lin PP, Huvos AG, Meyers PA. Prognostic factors for patients with sarcomas of the pelvic bones. Cancer. 1998;82:851–859.
16. Wirbel RJ, Schulte M, Mutschler WE. Surgical treatment of pelvic sarcomas: oncologic and functional outcome.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2001:190–205.
17. Shin KH, Rougraff BT, Simon MA. Oncologic outcomes of primary bone sarcomas of the pelvis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994:207–217.
18. Jawad MU, Haleem AA, Scully SP. Malignant sarcoma of the pelvic bones: treatment outcomes and prognostic factors vary by histopathology. Cancer. 2011;117:1529–1541.
19. Colding-Rasmussen T, Thorn AP, Horstmann P, et al. Survival and prognostic factors at time of diagnosis in high-grade appendicular osteosarcoma: a 21 year single institution evaluation from east Denmark. Acta Oncol. 2018;57(3):420–425.
20. Mirabello L, Troisi RJ, Savage SA. Osteosarcoma incidence and survival rates from 1973 to 2004: data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program. Cancer. 2009;115:1531–1543.
21. Arshi A, Sharim J, Park DY, et al. Chondrosarcoma of the osseous spine: an analysis of epidemiology, patient outcomes, and prognostic factors using the SEER registry from 1973 to 2012. Spine. 2017;42:644–652.
22. Arshi A, Sharim J, Park DY, et al. Prognostic determinants and treatment outcomes analysis of osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcoma of the spine. Spine J. 2017;17:645–655.
23. Strotman PK, Reif TJ, Kliethermes SA, Sandhu JK, Nystrom LM. Dedifferentiated chondrosarcoma: a survival analysis of 159 cases from the SEER database (2001–2011). J Surg Oncol. 2017;116:252–257.
24. Angelini A, Ceci F. The role of (18)F-FDG PET/CT in the detection of osteosarcoma recurrence. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:1712–1720.
25. Iwamoto Y. Diagnosis and treatment of Ewing’s sarcoma. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2007;37:79–89.
26. Okiror L, Peleki A, Moffat D, et al. Survival following pulmonary metastasectomy for sarcoma. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;64:146–149.
27. Meazza C, Scanagatta P. Metastatic osteosarcoma: a challenging multidisciplinary treatment. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2016;16:543–556.
28. Pastorino U, Buyse M, Friedel G, et al. Long-term results of lung metastasectomy: prognostic analyses based on 5206 cases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1997;113:37–49.
29. Lacey SH, Danish EH, Thompson GH, Joyce MJ. Ewing sarcoma of the proximal phalanx of a finger. A case report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987;69:931–934.
Source: Cancer Management and Research
Originally published May 14, 2018.