SSY declares that he has no relevant conflicts of interest that relate to the research described in this paper. DIQ declares that he has conflicts of interest including advisory board position and speaker honorarium with Pfizer, Bayer, Novartis, Exelixis, BMS, and Argos. TBD declares that she has conflicts of interest including speaker honorarium with Astellas, Bayer, Dendreon, Exelixis, Genentech, and Pfizer. The authors report no other conflicts of interest in this work.
Steven S. Yu, David I. Quinn, Tanya B. Dorff
Division of Oncology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
1. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al. [homepage on the Internet]. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.1, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No 11 [Internet]. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2014. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr. Accessed January 16, 2015.
2. Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, Ferlay J, Lortet-Tieulent J, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin. 2015;65(2):87–108.
3. Cancer.net [webpage on the Internet]. Kidney cancer. Available from: http://www.cancer.net/patient/Cancer+Types/Kidney+Cancer?sectionTitle=Risk%20Factors%20and%20Prevention. Accessed July 17, 2012.
4. American Cancer Society. Detailed Guide: Kidney Cancer. (Adult) – Renal Cell Carcinoma. 2012. Available from: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003107-pdf. Accessed July 17, 2012.
5. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin. 2015;65(1):5.
6. National Cancer Institute [webpage on the Internet]. SEER Stat Fact Sheets: Kidney and Renal Pelvis. 2012. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/kidrp.html. Accessed July 17, 2012.
7. Fyfe G, Fisher RI, Rosenberg SA, Sznol M, Parkinson DR, Louie AC. Results of treatment of 255 patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma who received high-dose recombinant interleukin-2 therapy. J Clin Oncol. 1995;13(3):688–696.
8. Heng DY, Xie W, Regan MM, et al. Prognostic factors for overall survival in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted agents: results from a large, multicenter study. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(34):5794–5799.
9. Motzer RJ, Hutson TE, Tomczak P, et al. Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(2):115.
10. Motzer RJ, Hutson TE, Tomczak P, et al. Overall survival and updated results for sunitinib compared with interferon alfa in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(22):3584.
11. Patil S, Figlin RA, Hutson TE, et al. Prognostic factors for progression-free and overall survival with sunitinib targeted therapy and with cytokine as first-line therapy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2011;22(2):295.
12. Rini BI, Escudier B, Tomczak P, et al. Comparative effectiveness of axitinib versus sorafenib in advanced renal cell carcinoma (AXIS): a randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2011;378(9807):1931–1939.
13. Sternberg CN, Davis ID, Mardiak J, et al. Pazopanib in locally advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase III trial. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(6):1061.
14. Motzer RJ, Hutson TE, McCann L, Deen K, Choueiri TK. Overall survival in renal-cell carcinoma with pazopanib versus sunitinib. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(18):1769.
15. Rini BI, Halabi S, Rosenberg JE, et al. Phase III trial of bevacizumab plus interferon alfa versus interferon alfa monotherapy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: final results of CALGB 90206. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28(13):2137.
16. Escudier B, Pluzanska A, Koralewski P, et al. Bevacizumab plus interferon alfa-2a for treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a randomised, double-blind phase III trial. Lancet. 2007;370(9605):2103–2111.
17. Pantuck AJ, Seligson DB, Klatte T, et al. Prognostic relevance of the mTOR pathway in renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 2007;109:2257–2267.
18. Hudes G, Carducci M, Tomczak P, et al. Temsirolimus, interferon alfa, or both for advanced renal-cell carcinoma. Global ARCC trial. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(22):2271.
19. Hutson TE, Escudier B, Esteban E, et al. Randomized phase III trial of temsirolimus versus sorafenib as second-line therapy after sunitinib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Oncol. 2014;32(8):760–767.
20. Motzer RJ, Escudier B, Oudard S, et al. Phase 3 trial of everolimus for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: final results and analysis of prognostic factors. Cancer. 2010;116(18):4256–4265.
21. Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. The hallmarks of cancer. Cell. 2000;100(1):57–70.
22. Chung AS, Lee J, Ferrara N. Targeting the tumour vasculature: insights from physiological angiogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer. 2010;10(7):505.
23. Ferrara N, Gerber HP, LeCouter J. The biology of VEGF and its receptors. Nat Med. 2003;9(6):669.
24. Homsi J, Daud AI. Spectrum of activity and mechanism of action of VEGF/PDGF inhibitors. Cancer Control. 2007;14:285–294.
25. Yakes FM, Chen J, Tan J, et al. Cabozantinib (XL184), a novel MET and VEGFR2 inhibitor, simultaneously suppresses metastasis, angiogenesis, and tumor growth. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011;10:2298–2308.
26. Sharma T, Dhingra R, Singh S, et al. Aflibercept: a novel VEGF targeted agent to explore the future perspectives of anti-angiogenic therapy for the treatment of multiple tumors. Mini-Rev Med Chem. 2013;13:530–540.
27. Pàez-Ribes M, Allen E, Hudock J, et al. Antiangiogenic therapy elicits malignant progression of tumors to increased local invasion and distant metastasis. Cancer Cell. 2009;15(3):220–231.
28. Bielecka ZF, Czarnecka AM, Solarek W, Kornakiewicz A, Szczylik C. Mechanisms of acquired resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in clear – cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC). Curr Signal Transduct Ther. 2014;8(3):218–228.
29. Sierra JR, Tsao MS. c-MET as a potential therapeutic target and biomarker in cancer. Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2011;3(1 suppl):S21–S35.