We thank the patients of Clinic of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, University of Extremadura (Plasencia), University Hospital Infanta Cristina of Badajoz (Extremadura) y Oncology Association of Extremadura, Spain. The authors did not receive any financial assistance from or have any personal relationships with other people or organizations that could inappropriately influence (bias) their work.
All authors: concept, design, analyses, interpretation of data, drafting of manuscript, or revising it critically for important intellectual content.
The authors report no conflicts of interest in this work.
Patricia Palomo-López,1 David Rodríguez-Sanz,2 Ricardo Becerro-de-Bengoa-Vallejo,3 Marta Elena Losa-Iglesias,4 Jorge Guerrero-Martín,5 Cesar Calvo-Lobo,6 Daniel López-López7
1Department of Nursing, University Center of Plasencia, University of Extremadura, 2Department of Physical Therapy and Podiatry, Physical Therapy and Health Sciences, Research Group, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Madrid, 3School of Nursing, Physiotherapy and Podiatry, University Complutense of Madrid, 4Faculty of Health Sciences, University Rey Juan Carlos, 5Department of Nursing, Faculty of Medicine, Badajoz. University of Extremadura, 6Nursing and Physical Therapy Department, Institute of Biomedicine (IBIOMED), Universidad de León, Ponferrada, León, 7Research, Health and Podiatry Unit, Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Nursing and Podiatry, Universidade da Coruña, Spain
1. Wright EP, Kiely MA, Lynch P, Cull A, Selby PJ. Social problems in oncology. Br J Cancer. 2002;87(10):1099–1104.
2. Haddou Rahou B, El Rhazi K, Ouasmani F, et al. Quality of life in Arab women with breast cancer: a review of the literature. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2016;14(1):64.
3. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: Sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer. 2015;136(5):E359–E386.
4. Lehto US, Ojanen M, Kellokumpu-Lehtinen P. Predictors of quality of life in newly diagnosed melanoma and breast cancer patients. Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol. 2005;16(5):805–816.
5. Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, Ebrahimi M, Khaleghi F, Jarvandi S. Quality of life in patients with breast cancer before and after diagnosis: an eighteen months follow-up study. BMC Cancer. 2008;8(1):330.
6. Key TJ, Verkasalo PK, Banks E. Epidemiology of breast cancer. Lancet Oncol. 2001;2(3):133–140.
7. Piñeros M, Ferlay J, Murillo R. Cancer incidence estimates at the national and district levels in Colombia. Salud Publica Mex. 48(6):455-465. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17326341. Accessed September 9, 2017.
8. Murray CJ, Lopez AD. Mortality by cause for eight regions of the world: Global Burden of Disease Study. Lancet. 1997;349(9061):1269–1276.
9. Boyle P. Breast cancer control: signs of progress, but more work required. Breast. 2005;14(6):429–438.
10. Veronesi U, Goldhirsch A, Boyle P, Orecchia R, Viale G. Breast cancer. Discov Med. 2005;5(27):271–277. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20704887. Accessed September 9, 2017.
11. Palaniappan M, Srinivasamurthy S, Dubashi B, Chandrasekaran A. Anticancer drug induced palmar plantar erythrodysesthesia. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(10):HC01–HC03.
12. Jung S, Sehouli J, Chekerov R, et al. Prevention of palmoplantar erythrodysesthesia in patients treated with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (Caelyx®). Support Care Cancer. Epub 2017 June 26.
13. Vandenbroucke JP, von Elm E, Altman DG, et al. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration. Int J Surg. 2014;12(12):1500–1524.
14. Faul F, Erdfelder E, Lang AG, Buchner A. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods. 2007;39(2):175–191. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17695343. Accessed June 20, 2017.
15. Bennett PJ, Patterson C, Wearing S, Baglioni T. Development and validation of a questionnaire designed to measure foot-health status. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 1998;88(9):419–428.
16. Garrow JS, Webster J. Quetelet’s index (W/H2) as a measure of fatness. Int J Obes. 1985;9(2):147–153. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4030199. Accessed June 22, 2017.
17. Landorf KB, Radford JA. Minimal important difference: values for the foot health status questionnaire, foot function index and visual analogue scale. Foot. 2008;18(1):15–19.
18. Cuesta-Vargas A, Bennett P, Jimenez-Cebrian AM, Labajos-Manzanares MT. The psychometric properties of the Spanish version of the Foot Health Status Questionnaire. Qual Life Res. 2013;22(7):1739–1743.
19. Safaee A, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Zeighami B, Tabatabaee H, Pourhoseingholi M. Predictors of quality of life in breast cancer patients under chemotherapy. Indian J Cancer. 45(3):107–111. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19018114. Accessed September 9, 2017.
20. Mitchell T. The social and emotional toll of chemotherapy – patients’ perspectives. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2007;16(1):39–47.
21. Ganz PA, Desmond KA, Leedham B, Rowland JH, Meyerowitz BE, Belin TR. Quality of life in long-term, disease-free survivors of breast cancer: a follow-up study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002;94(1):39–49. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11773281. Accessed September 9, 2017.
22. Farrell C, Heaven C, Beaver K, Maguire P. Identifying the concerns of women undergoing chemotherapy. Patient Educ Couns. 2005;56(1):72–77.
23. Nam SH, Choi HJ, Kang WD, et al. Development and Validation of the Korean Version of Hand-Foot Skin Reaction and Quality of Life Questionnaire (HF-QoL-K). J Korean Med Sci. 2016;31(12):1969–1975.
24. Degen A, Alter M, Schenck F, et al. The hand-foot-syndrome associated with medical tumor therapy – classification and management. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2010;8(9):652–661.
25. Müller V, Fuxius S, Steffens CC, et al. Quality of life under capecitabine (Xeloda®) in patients with metastatic breast cancer: data from a german non-interventional surveillance study. Oncol Res Treat. 2014;37(12):748–755.
26. Anderson RT, Keating KN, Doll HA, Camacho F. The hand-foot skin reaction and quality of life questionnaire: an assessment tool for oncology. Oncologist. 2015;20(7):831–838.
Source: Cancer Management and Research.
Originally published November 1, 2017.