Early nutritional screening may benefit patients receiving vismodegib
the ONA take:
Early nutritional screening may be beneficial in patients with locally advanced or metastatic basal cell carcinoma receiving vismodegib, a new study published online ahead of print in the journal Supportive Care in Cancer has suggested.
Although vismodegib is effective in the treatment of this type of skin cancer, weight loss and dysgeusia (persistent abnormal taste or change in taste) are common treatment-related adverse events.
Therefore, researchers sought to monitor the nutritional status of vismodegib-treated patients, as well as assess the incidence of dysgeusia and the benefit of early nutritional management.
For the prospective study, researchers enrolled 45 patients with locally advanced or metastatic basal cell carcinoma who started vismodegib between October 2011 and May 2013 at Nantes University Hospital in France.
Of those, 24 patients had not received any specific nutritional management while 21 patients were evaluated by a physician from the Nutrition Support Unit and received dietary counseling at the time of vismodegib initiation.
Results showed that 24% of patients receiving dietary counseling were undernourished at vismodegib initiation and the 6-month cumulative incidence of dysgeusia was 71%.
Researchers found that 38% of patients receiving dietary counseling experienced a weight loss greater than 5% compared with 54% of those who did not receive any specific nutritional management.
“The potential benefit of nutritional support in this setting warrants further investigation,” the authors conclude.
Early nutritional screening may be beneficial in patients with locally advanced or metastatic basal cell carcinoma receiving vismodegib.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|