Research findings differentiate prostate cancer tumors into five different types
the ONA take:
Determining the appropriate course of treatment for prostate cancer can be a challenge for clinicians.
The disease can be slow growing and never cause a problem for a man or it can be an aggressive disease requiring immediate treatment.
Scientists at Cancer Research UK recently found that prostate cancer has five distinct types, and they also found a way to determine which type of tumor a patient has.
The researchers looked for abnormal chromosomes and measured the activity of 100 genes linked to prostate cancer in healthy and cancerous tissue samples from more than 250 men. They were able to group the tumors into five different types, each with its own genetic fingerprint.
The next step is to confirm their findings in larger studies that further explore how each specific type behaves.
However, the researchers report that their findings could lead to better understanding of the disease and more effective treatment for patients who have aggressive disease.
Prostate cancer has five distinct types, with different ways to determine which type of tumor a patient has.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Follow-Up After Treatment Lacking for Younger Cancer Survivors
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|