Myocardial infarction, stroke risk similar for metformin combo with insulin, sulfonylureas
the ONA take:
According to a study published online ahead of print in the journal Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, researchers have found that risk of heart attack or stroke is similar for treatment with sulfonylureas or insulin, plus metformin, among patients with type 2 diabetes.
For the study, researchers evaluated the risk of heart attack and stroke associated with sulfonylureas plus metformin and insulin plus metformin. Results showed that the risk of heart attack or stroke was similar in both groups.
"Current evidence suggests that there may not be large differences in cardiovascular risk associated with the use of insulin or sulfonylureas when used in combination with metformin," the authors concluded.
A study published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that adding a sulfonylurea, rather than insulin, to metformin should be preferred in patients requiring a second antidiabetes medication. The study demonstrated that metformin plus insulin was decrease survival, but other experts questioned those results.
Risk of heart attack or stroke is similar for treatment with sulfonylureas or insulin, plus metformin, among patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
- Chemotherapy-Related Fatigue Linked to Levothyroxine Use in Breast Cancer
- New Hypertension Threshold Guides Blood Pressure Management During Cancer Treatment
- Sexual Aids and Resources Not Readily Available at Cancer Centers
- Factors Affecting Employment Participation in Early-stage Breast Cancer
- Gas Mixture Improves Efficacy of Breakthrough Cancer Pain Treatment
- Sitting With Silence in End-of-Life Cancer Care
- Obesity and Cancer Risk (Fact Sheet)
- Susceptibility Gene Mutations Common in Those With Pancreatic Cancer and History of Other Cancers
- Anticancer Properties of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Plant-Based vs Marine-Based
- US Pharmacopeia Revises Chapter on Handling Hazardous Drugs
- Adjuvant Vemurafenib Does Not Improve Disease-Free Survival in Melanoma
- Profile of Buparlisib and its Potential in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: Evidence to Date
- Exercise Before Lung Cancer Surgery Greatly Reduces Complications
- Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment in EU vs US: Similarities Would Enable Worldwide Studies
- Zinc Sulfate Improves Chemotherapy-Induced Mucositis Outcomes in Leukemia
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|